[How-To] Cleaning up a torched edge

OK - Phew! :)

The skeptic warning bells were going off in my head the whole time, but just because I had seen enough 1" plate in a shipyard, and (once), some 2" plate, I pressed on. I am relieved to see the great pictures from @lis2323 , if only because they show a 2" thick table can exist. (Sorry - was that 3"??) I know 1/2" steel is considered "thin" for steel decking on ships, and our norms about "what is thick" just depends on what it's for.

I put aside for now the question about having two welding tables, one a thing of practical good design, pretty much a thing of beauty, and the other commissioned by Pluto for Hephaestus! The reaction de @Aukai is not actually OTT !

If the motivation for ordering oversize, to then cut back, is avoiding having to grind on a glass-hard edge, then I think the water-jet cut is the way to go. It is becoming standard in many places now, and does not modify the character of the metal. BUT - we get it that this way is only any good when the supplier has the kit, instead of using plasma cutting.

I am just a little in shock. @tjb Terry's kit goes for 1" thick, and he went for the whole 9 yards! Wheels and steering that would not disgrace an agri-trailer! Presumably he knew that once set down, sans wheels, it simply could not move again.

Cuttiing 3/8"
OK - so just suppose water-jet cut is not handily available from a supplier. Using loads of grinder discs would also put me off. When I discovered the (not very expensive) Evolution brand sliding mitre saw I bought had a trick blade, claimed "multi-material", would cut steel with "no heat, no burrs, and virtually no sparks" I tried it out. The heat is not zero, but there is hardly any. I was always able to hold steel bar (15mm), and it cut right through. The blade ran slower than I expected, but that was before understood the kit was for multi-material.

Evolution RAGE255 Multi-Material.jpg

Only afterwards, did I read the fine print, where it says "up to 6mm". One of these (they come in 7.25" and 10" sizes), run slower, might see a crazy experiment, of loading it into the woodworking handheld Makita, and taking on some 3/8" like it was flooring ply. Yes- you do need a cheap speed control like the one I got from eBay for a different saw.

It occurs to me that even if one was abused well over the 6mm, with some care, and patience, it could give a nicely cut finish over most of the straight lines. Use a grinder on the corners. The cuts are beautiful. It does cost about $44, but maybe, if it survived a whole 3/8" table, it can keep cutting other stuff.

I suggest with all this some caution. It is something I would risk, but I completely understand why many HM members might call me out on it!

[Edit - You might have to look up why Hephaestus! :cool: ]

Amazon says this is the one I have, it leaves metal chips around to clean up, I use a magnetic wand, and a vacuum after. It has done very well, and even did a 1" thick bar stock 5" cross cut.
1598221247327.png MK Morse CSM9NXTB 9-Inch Metal Cutting Circular Saw

This is the 8’ x 2’ welding table I built a few years ago. It has a 3” steel top that weighs 1960 pounds. Total weight is about 2500 pounds.

d49698a80c76668e16ba3e10a4b28e9a.jpg

4026e8ad0a2446f2effd0cfd845ad58a.plist
Very nice!

Those plates especially the 1" ones are a ton of money here. I remember looking at a 1/2" sheet and I think I'm remembering 780.00. Not 100% sure, but I remember it was an instant uh, no thank you.
Yeah, those 1" plates are a ton of money around here, too. But you don't think I just went out and bought one, do you!? Do a favor for a guy every now and then, and you never know how it may come back. A friend of mine is a heavy equipment operator. A few years ago, I told him about getting ready to build a heavy duty work bench, and he mentioned this piece of plate that he had. It was a chunk of 1" plate that began life as a 5' x 10' piece. Got no idea where he got it, but if I had to guess, it came to him from a job he was doing with one of his heavy excavators. It had a small section (2 x 3 or so) cut out of one corner; I had helped him out on a project he was working on, so I guess he felt he owed me a favor. He sold it to me for next to nothing - around $150. He loaded it on my flatbed trailer, and it stayed there until I was ready to start building the smaller of the two tables. It took me two or three days - off and on - to cut the 2 x 5 section. The table was so heavy that I had to put wheels on it (I did plan on it needing to be moved around the shop), so I figured why not go ahead and build a steering system for it, complete with ball joints and tie rods. I also put an emergency brake on it, but you can't see it from the angle in the photo.

I'm pretty sure I have less money in the whole table than I would (should) have paid just for the 2 x 5 top piece.

Regards

Oh, and just for the record, I don't have 'two welding tables'. I actually don't use either one exclusively for welding. I consider them both 'work benches'. The 4 x 8 is used quite often for welding but not exclusively. The 2 x 5 with 1" top started life as a welding table, but it never sees welding anymore. It's in near my machining equipment and functions mostly as a work table.

I leave the heavy smithing and welding to Hephaestus.

Regards

I would love to have your floor space, and the nice work benches:encourage:

Reactions: tjb
I lived in Virginia for 3 years while my dad was stationed in DC. Snow, chiggers, poison ivy, summer time, not sure about that :)

I lived in Virginia for 3 years while my dad was stationed in DC. Snow, chiggers, poison ivy, summer time, not sure about that :)
We don't allow any of that kind of stuff down here. (Wink, wink.)

Back