[How-To] Cleaning up a torched edge

85b568aa8b0dbad40728492352af1330.plist

I just remembered. This sheet of 3/8” came from Island Plate about 8 years ago.

i'll use a well placed and clamped piece of angle iron as a fence and guide for an angle grinder

+1 on this method. I use a 7" angle grinder and use a piece of old bed frame as a guide and run the grinder against the frame. Draw a line where you want the cut, then use a pair of C-clamps to secure the angle iron with the vertical face over the mark, then cut with the angle grinder wheel vertical. The resultant cut looks beautiful (even better than a sheared cut) and needs no additional treatment except to break the edges.

OR order exactly what you want from one of the water jet places. They can cut all the holes and/or clamping slots for you too.

Maybe cut a David R8 logo in the center and bevel the edges while they’re at it.

OR order exactly what you want from one of the water jet places. They can cut all the holes and/or clamping slots for you too.

Maybe cut a David R8 logo in the center and bevel the edges while they’re at it.

:D
Now there’s a good idea!
Edit: I didn't know we had two shops in town that do waterjet cutting!
Time to fire up Fusion360 and design a top :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You can do it with a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Just take your time. I've done more pieces than I can count from 1/4" stock up to 1" that way. Below are pictures of two benches I made out of 1" plate. I used a 7" grinder on those and a boatload of grinder disks. Each bench top had free-hand cuts on three of the four sides. It took quite a bit of time to cut each one, but the real challenge is slowing yourself down and not rushing it.

I would suggest you order the plate at least 1" (preferably 2") over in each dimension to avoid hardening.

Regards,
Terry

20141110-12.JPG

20141124-02.JPG

Attachments

• 20141110-01.JPG
    20141110-01.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Back