[How-To] Cleaning up a torched edge

I hope you have an overhead gantry crane in case you ever have to move it. Curious, did you just have the 3" plate left over from some job or is there a special reason you wanted/needed a top so massive?

Actually it moves easily with a pallet jack.

1605fce157e9aa7933bbc31dc64d77cc.plist

You're welcome. Is that 3" piece something that could be found in a heavy equipment scrap yard?

The short answer is no but not to say you won’t find something if you look.

Left messages at the two waterjet companies in town. Will see what happens!

Left messages at the two waterjet companies in town. Will see what happens!

Don’t know if this is one of them

but my friends use them regularly.

I have no experience with them as I am too cheap.

Don’t know if this is one of them

but my friends use them regularly.

I have no experience with them as I am too cheap.
Yup that's one of them, the other is Eppic Waterjet.
I'm just curious to see the cost of the value add. Basically I'm asking for a 24"x36"x 3/9" plate with true 90 deg corners.
If it's huge dollars then I'll just go to Island Plate as their quote at $133 was $30 less than Island Metal.
Plasma cut apparently. I got it 25" by 37" to allow for hardening as was suggested.

Plasma cut apparently. I got it 25" by 37" to allow for hardening as was suggested.

So you plan to mill the edges ? I know you’re a lot more discerning than I but that’s an awful lot of machining.

I would buy a set of those Fireball squares.

I made my own. Again... I’m cheap remember ??

I used a pair of FREE cast iron table saw wings I found on usedVic.

38fe34605eb0667fef8becc1a6a7f7b7.jpg

3e3629e3f026f8358501298385e5e0fa.plist

1b83260dfca709542374e4e01c6d16a4.jpg

f84246cd80243eb1673d1ed128f8078a.jpg

I also made a pair of tiny ones but you get the idea ...

I will just apply good old elbow grease and cutting disks to bring it to dimension and squareness. Heck it may even be decent from their shop floor.

Those squares are really excellent. I keep looking for table saw wings (or even a whole saw for cheap) but seem to come up empty all the time.

Back