[How-To] Cleaning up a torched edge

I bought 2 chunks of 3/8 x 2' x 4' HRS plate to make drill press and hand tapper base plates. Both were shear cut, which means they were slightly bent. I have an Evolution circular saw, so I bought their metal cutting carbide blade and cut them down.

You do need face protection from the hot sparks, and it made a mess, but it sliced right thru them. I used a length of angle for a straight edge to guide the saw. To make the three plates I probably cut about 6' total. Blade is noticeably dull, but still going. I just sanded and filed the cut edges, as didn't care if they were true square.

I did have to fool around in the HF 20 ton press to more or less straighten them out, so burned edges may save you that hassle.

That’s a good point actually!
I would never have thought of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far, all the posts have been about heat, flames, and high force shearing, leaving it bent.
Not that I know too much about it, but I saw precision water jet cutting on (I think) FantomWorks.

1280px-Water_jet_cutter_tool.jpg
It has been used to cut metal inches thick. Maybe you can find a place near you that does it.

Who would you go to locally?
MSM wanted nearly $300 for the same size. Island Metal Craft was $160 plus $20 to torch cut.

I thought Island Metal Craft could shear 3/8”. I’ll bet it needs sharpening, flipping or set up and they’re too cheap to do it.

Do you want to machine it perfectly square?

I would tell them you need it square let them torch it and dress the edge with an angle grinder.

I thought Island Metal Craft could shear 3/8”. I’ll bet it needs sharpening, flipping or set up and they’re too cheap to do it.

I would tell them you need it square let them torch it and dress the edge with an angle grinder.

Yes, I’d like to to use the corners as references when welding up frames etc.
I’ll call Island Plate on Monday and see what they say.

Yes, I’d like to to use the corners as references when welding up frames etc.
I’ll call Island Plate on Monday and see what they say.

I just made a jig out of 1/4 plate with no factory edges, it makes life a little more difficult trying to get things square..

I just made a jig out of 1/4 plate with no factory edges, it makes life a little more difficult trying to get things square..

I’m used to squaring up plywood but you know a tablesaw makes it easy :)

Back