[How-To] Cleaning up a torched edge

I will just apply good old elbow grease and cutting disks to bring it to dimension and squareness. Heck it may even be decent from their shop floor.

Those squares are really excellent. I keep looking for table saw wings (or even a whole saw for cheap) but seem to come up empty all the time.

In that case revise your price quote to 24x36 or under. It should be cheaper as they will be left with more desirable sized crops.

I will just apply good old elbow grease and cutting disks to bring it to dimension and squareness. Heck it may even be decent from their shop floor.

Those squares are really excellent. I keep looking for table saw wings (or even a whole saw for cheap) but seem to come up empty all the time.
David, one of the things to pay attention to when you're using a grinder is staying perpendicular. I found that the best way to approach a grind like you'll need to make is to start with a chalk line and make the first pass or two as close to exact as you can. Don't go for depth - just accuracy. After that, you can begin to creep up on the depth, but pay good attention to trying to hold the grinder as perpendicular to the work as possible. The real challenge is a: going slow - don't rush it; and b. stop when you're tired - that's when you make mistakes. It'll still be there tomorrow.

Also, you probably no this trick, but one way to confirm squareness BEFORE you make the first cut is to pull diagonals. If you're square, diagonals on a rectangle or square will be equal. I have done that every time I've laid out a table top. It's worth the effort.

I suspect you'll end up with exactly what you're looking for. Keep us posted.

Regards,
Terry

And HERE is the ultimate in NON precision table tops.

This is the welding table I built when I was 15 ( 54 years ago.)

I squared up a piece of scrap 3/8” plate with O/A torch and stuck angle iron legs under it.

Here it is today....

0d6bdeb8b21b4ac7798592abf2da28d2.jpg

And HERE is the ultimate in NON precision table tops.

This is the welding table I built when I was 15 ( 54 years ago.)

I squared up a piece of scrap 3/8” plate with O/A torch and stuck angle iron legs under it.

Here it is today....

0d6bdeb8b21b4ac7798592abf2da28d2.jpg

I think it’s awesome that you still have it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David, one of the things to pay attention to when you're using a grinder is staying perpendicular. I found that the best way to approach a grind like you'll need to make is to start with a chalk line and make the first pass or two as close to exact as you can. Don't go for depth - just accuracy. After that, you can begin to creep up on the depth, but pay good attention to trying to hold the grinder as perpendicular to the work as possible. The real challenge is a: going slow - don't rush it; and b. stop when you're tired - that's when you make mistakes. It'll still be there tomorrow.

Also, you probably no this trick, but one way to confirm squareness BEFORE you make the first cut is to pull diagonals. If you're square, diagonals on a rectangle or square will be equal. I have done that every time I've laid out a table top. It's worth the effort.

I suspect you'll end up with exactly what you're looking for. Keep us posted.

Regards,
Terry

Thanks for the tips Terry,
While I’ve watched folks cut thick stock using an angle grinder I’ve only ever cut angle and tubular stock up to 1/8” so this will be a new experience.

Reactions: tjb
Thanks for the tips Terry,
While I’ve watched folks cut thick stock using an angle grinder I’ve only ever cut angle and tubular stock up to 1/8” so this will be a new experience.

I’m betting you will be pleased with the edges from your supplier and you only need to dress the actual edge.

I don’t care how careful you are using a clamped guide and an angle grinder it will always look imperfect TO YOU.

I’m betting you will be pleased with the edges from your supplier and you only need to dress the actual edge.

I don’t care how careful you are using a clamped guide and an angle grinder it will always look imperfect TO YOU.

Thanks, I’m actually rather excited about this as I’ve been thinking about it for months.

Slight change of plans...
Victoria Waterjet got back to me with an amazing quote.
$150 for 2' x 3' x 3/8"
Going with them...
That makes life easy.

You may have already, but be sure that you discuss the quality of the edge from the cut that you are expecting. Water Jetting is as variable as anything. The more time they spend, slower the cut, the better the finish, but the more the cost. I would ask them for a picture of the edge they will leave you with. It won't be a machined edge but they can make them pretty good if you want to spend the cash.

At Boeing where I work we get a lot of plate water cut. Some are as smooth as you could hope for, but others depending on the next stage look more like a torch cut.

Back