Clausing 4914

Wow Kent, that is really ugly looking. I wish I had some advice for you, but I think I would be discouraged at this point as well.

Well after sleeping on a few of these things I did a bit of research this morning. I'm less discouraged.

First thing I noticed when I tried to get a part number for the taper pin in the parts diagram is that it doesn't have one. I did not realize these are simple items to find. McMaster Carr has them in packages of 5 for less than $10. I'll see if I can find a place that sells them individually since I just need one.

Then I looked at the feed gear part number. I have an old Clausing parts price list from 2005. The feed gear is listed as only $15.84. Compared to some other parts I may need to replace, that's not too pricey. Hopefully the difference in 2005 to 2012 prices aren't too high.

My cross slide nut is also toast. Much like the poorly repaired cross slide screw, someone jury rigged up another nut that allowed it to function. That part is listed as $47.48.

I'm going to get a parts list together and email it off to Clausing to see what the damages will be. I'll price out everything I need and then figure out whats essential and what I can fix myself.

The worst part is going to be having to take apart the entire spindle to replace the feed gear, which seems intense. I think I have a long slow slog to get this thing back up and running. But oh well I wanted a project didn't I? :nuts:

I did get the apron put all back together. I should have paid more attention when I took it apart, it took me several attempts but I finally got it figured out.

you DID want a project - never forget that (that usually helps soften any discouragements).

As for the feed gear - I've actually seen the same on 2 4900s and was able to reduce the selling price of my lathe based on that. when speaking with Clausing I believe that was an ~$80 part, but you can get a more precise number from clausing. the only thing about it is that you WILL have to take the headstock completely apart and have to remove the spindle in order to replace that gear. while I was happy not having to do that, I think that being forced to do that will be good long term as you'd have a better grasp of how it is put together. good luck with that, and please post the progress on this as I'm sure it can be helpful for others down the line.

As for the rest - it will all comes together. just don't rush it.

nice to see you are getting some progress done even if it doesn't feel like it.

I'm already stumped on how to get the spindle out. I have everything on the outboard side of the spindle off to the point of the bearing take up nut. You are supposed to use a spanner wrench to adjust the bearing take up nut. I don't have one yet, so I used a 1/4" rod that fit into the hole. I was able to loosen it but towards the end of the threads it gets super tight again. I'm going to order a spanner wrench but I still don't want to force it. I can't see anything else that would cause the nut to not loosen. The threads don't even seem gunked up. I've been spraying everything in the headstock with PB blaster in anticipation of having to take the spindle out.

After the take up nut is a dust cover. I assume this is just pressed in. Then a washer, then the first spindle bearing. Again I'm assuming these are pressed in? I don't have any means of pressing these out. Whats the best way to go about removing spindle bearings without a press?

I'm headed into uncharted territory here and I have no idea what I'm doing. Any advice on where to look for information on any of this?

Well I think my suspicions that I am only going to be able to afford to replace those MOST critical parts are true. I just got the quote from Clausing. Yikes! I think I'll pick up the feed gear, cross slide nut, and a few springs. I'm going to make due and or come up with fixes for the rest like I had already planned.

I attached the quote so you can see the prices.

Attachments

• quote 8-28-2012.pdf
    56.2 KB · Views: 56
Well I think my suspicions that I am only going to be able to afford to replace those MOST critical parts are true. I just got the quote from Clausing. Yikes! I think I'll pick up the feed gear, cross slide nut, and a few springs. I'm going to make due and or come up with fixes for the rest like I had already planned.

I attached the quote so you can see the prices.

I am following this thread with great interest as I just bought a 4902 that came out of a school in Bridgeport and I know I'll have to get into it in the coming months. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to document and post this info for tentative people like me!

I am following this thread with great interest as I just bought a 4902 that came out of a school in Bridgeport and I know I'll have to get into it in the coming months. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to document and post this info for tentative people like me!

Welcome to H-M

yeah, unfortunately these are the prices. I've actually made sure I calculated those numbers into the sale before hand when I got mine... not cheap at all. make do with what you can though based on what you plan to do with the lathe (work wise)

vt-biketim - did you get the lathe with the red tailstock?

There is someone on Ebay that sells "rebuilt" cross lead screws and nuts. Look under "Clausing lathe", sort by price and look below $200.
I could not tell where yours was broken but if the lathe had a taper attachment, it will have a "split" lead screw.

If you need a set of collets for the lathe (4C) I have an extra, not sure if it is a full set but it is close.

Good Luck,

Rick

Hi all
I have a Clausing 4900 lathe as well. I really have enjoyed mine and use it a lot. I am presently making a back plate for it from cast plate. This thread is interesting to say the least. I hope you have as much enjoyment from yours as I have from mine. i have used it for years to repair machinery on the farm!
Jerry

Back