Clausing 4914

See my answers in RED

Thanks Ken. The bull gear pin was stuck. I had been spraying it with PB blaster thinking it was stuck. After I read your post, I went out and levered it gently with a screwdriver and it popped right out. I was then able to engage the back gear and get the spindle to move.

It doesn't say it in the manual, but I'd imagine that actually comes in handy when you want to lock the spindle if you need to get off a stuck chuck?
I have read that is a no-no because you can break a gear tooth. But I have used that method in general practice (Not a "stuck" chuch however)

I've got the motor out now and hooked up to the VFD in my workshop. Using what you told me about the drum switch I was able to hook it up as the forward neutral reverse controlling the VFD and motor. You were right, once I had everything in front of me it was a piece of cake. Thanks again! And go ahead and call me a dork for saying this but this VFD is pretty freakin cool.
Yes, they are pretty freakin' cool!

I have a huge Delta abrasive metal chop saw I picked up on eBay ages ago. It's still in my mom's basement. It has a massive 3 phase motor. I had thought I'd get rid of the thing because it would be too much trouble to run. Now I'm thinking a VFD hooked up to it would be great, you could even slow it down enough to run it as a cold saw. Too bad I don't have any room for it. hmmm...

Anyway, the tool post slide and the compound slide are pretty buggered up. As I was aware the tool post slide is welded on both sides indicating it had been broken at some time. In addition to that, the compound slide has a pin inserted into the end of it limiting it's travel. As far as I can tell it's also limiting me from taking the whole thing apart. I can't imagine why someone would put the pin there. The slide end, where it is inserted, is pretty chewy. Do you think it would be ok to carefully cut this pin off with a cut off disk? Then file it down flush the way it should be?
Yeah, I don't see why that is there. maybe a little heat on it and you could pull it out? The proper "limit" is a screw in the end of the dovetail with a washer on it.

Also I can't tell from the exploded diagram but is the compound screw supposed to be two pieces? It looks to me like it was also broken at some point. The acme screw was held onto the rest of the shaft with a flat head brass screw and nut that do not look original at all. Also where the shaft attaches to the acme screw looks like it was welded on.
I can't remember exactly. In this picture-the screw on the left-just in front of the gear looks like a pin. I did not take this apart.
DSC04034.JPG

Another thing I noticed is that the tail stock handle was broken, and re-welded as well. I'm starting to wonder how bad this thing is. I think the main thing is, the ways are in good shape and the spindles in great shape too. Everything else I can fix.

To answer your question, this thing is so nasty I think it's going to take a complete tear down just to get it clean, and if I have it completely apart I might as well do a full on restore. I'm actually surprised how much I've got done in just one day. Of course it's always much easier taking it apart than putting back together.

By the way, how much paint did it take to do your machine? Is the TSC light ford gray almost white? It looks that way in your photos. Did you use the catalyst hardener with that paint? Did you brush it on, spray or both?
I think I used 1 quart, possibly 2. I would not say almost white, I think the flash makes it look whiter than it is. I did use the hardener on the big parts. I used mostly a small foam roller since it was winter and I could not spray outside.

DSC04034.JPG

Thanks for the answers Ken. I was thinking that cutting and filing the pin flush would leave a little less chewy of an edge on the compound than pulling the pin out. I'll have to decide what to do. I do have a torch I can use to heat it up if I decide to pull it out.

I'm pretty sure the cross slide screw has been modified. I'll post pictures later when I have some. I have seen it before where people replace a worn out crosslide screw by cutting the screw part off, turning down the end of the rest of the shaft and sleaving that into a new screw. Only thing is, this repair wasn't done very cleanly. I can probably fix it though. The brass screw that was holding the two pieces together was twisted as hell.

Well Ken, we will have matching lathes. I ordered some light ford gray from Agrisupply. I would have gotten it from TSC but they don't have the paint available online. In store only and the closest TSC is 45 minutes away.

The seller of my mismatched 3 jaw is going to give me a refund once I send it back. I'll probably hold off now on the tooling purchases for a while. I won't be able to use anything until I get the lathe back in working condition.

The incidentals are killing me! I went to HF and HD tonight to pick up a few things, brushes, gear pullers, cleaners, electric terminals, mineral spirits, citristrip, etc etc etc. Over $200 later I'm thinking what did I get myself into! Sure is fun though. :))

I told the clerk at HF that I spend too much money there, she said, but you NEED all this stuff. I couldn't help but chuckle, does anyone really NEED all these tools?:lmao:

I told the clerk at HF that I spend too much money there, she said, but you NEED all this stuff. I couldn't help but chuckle, does anyone really NEED all these tools?:lmao:

Only us tool junkies!!:rofl:

Paul

I've got a bunch of random questions.

Ken, did you prime the metal before you painted it with the Ford Gray? Luckily it's warm enough out where I can probably spray. I have a detail paint gun which I think should be sufficient. I'm stripping with citristrip then wire brushing and I'll wipe down with acetone before applying finish.

Did you remove the info plates, name plates, etc or did you just mask them off?

It looks to me like you removed the ball oilers when you did your restoration. Do you simply press these out? Did you have to get replacements or can you reuse the originals?

When you guys run the lathe, since you have VFD's, what pulley setting do you normally leave it on? Also, with a VFD do you ever find the need for back gears?

Ken I saw your post on my thread about the tumbler bracket. It looks to me from your picture that the top piece is actually a separate casting that has a roll pin holding it together. Is that original? If so I might be able to repair this without having to buy that entire assembly.

I may at some point ask one of you if you'd be so kind to take some measurements and possibly draw up a sketch of those pieces I'm missing so that I may be able to fabricate them.

I just can't get over how filthy this thing is. Who treats their tools like this?

not sure if this was aimed at Ken specifically, but I'll add my side of things (unpaint related):

the oil cups are friction fit into the holes, you can pull them out (twist pull action makes it easier) and can be reinstalled later on (I was missing a few and got replacements from mcmaster-carr which I think fit a bit too loosely compared to the factory ones).

As for VS. I still haven't installed the POT yet (but have purchased it and it's sitting all pretty in it's box on top of the lathe) but I usually change belts and keep the VFD at full 60hz capacity. it's healthier for the motor to run at full speed as it helps it also cool it down (fans) in general. if I need to slightly alter the speed - I'll change the frequency on the VFD to suit the need temporarily. yes I did use the backgear to slow things real down while keepign the motor at full speed. to sum it up, if I can find a belt setting that would give me the proper FPS for the cut while keeping the motor at full speed - I'll use that option over keeping the belt always the same and just using the VFD to control speed. if I need a speed that's 'in-between' then I'll change the frequency on the driver.

production lathes that live in a production warehouse and not in a hobby machinists clean room - are usually filthy like that. just the nature of the beast. these businesses focus on pumping parts out, and not on using that time to despeckle their machines. it's more cost effective to replace a machine after X years than to invest all this time in keeping them clean - as long as they work, they can be filthy as can be.

You ask so many random questions in one post this is the best way I know to answer all of them.

I've got a bunch of random questions.

Ken, did you prime the metal before you painted it with the Ford Gray? Luckily it's warm enough out where I can probably spray. I have a detail paint gun which I think should be sufficient. I'm stripping with citristrip then wire brushing and I'll wipe down with acetone before applying finish.
No, I just put the paint on, it covered well. The castings are rough enough that the paint bites in good.

Did you remove the info plates, name plates, etc or did you just mask them off?
All removed.

It looks to me like you removed the ball oilers when you did your restoration. Do you simply press these out? Did you have to get replacements or can you reuse the originals?
Pulled some out, and missing some as well. Like Sharon wrote, McMaster has them.

When you guys run the lathe, since you have VFD's, what pulley setting do you normally leave it on? Also, with a VFD do you ever find the need for back gears?
For the work I have done, I am usually in B-450 on the belt and use the VFD as required. I have also used back gear some.

Ken I saw your post on my thread about the tumbler bracket. It looks to me from your picture that the top piece is actually a separate casting that has a roll pin holding it together. Is that original? If so I might be able to repair this without having to buy that entire assembly.
I never really noticed it before. It does look like a possible repair, maybe Sharon can show us his. But lets talk about this in your other thread to keep things together.

I may at some point ask one of you if you'd be so kind to take some measurements and possibly draw up a sketch of those pieces I'm missing so that I may be able to fabricate them.

I just can't get over how filthy this thing is. Who treats their tools like this?

I have some parts from a 4914 I had if your interested PM me and I'll give you a price. The compound has never been busted, But you can see where some dumda$$ ran it into the chuck a few times.

Paul

P7250006.JPG P7250007.JPG

I took it apart today to see if I could make a smaller package and found part of the dove tail missing.

So let me know if-n you still want it either way is ok with me.

Paul

P7280002.JPG P7280003.JPG

Well this time before bidding on a chuck I made sure that it was a plain back and the 1 1/2"-8 back plate adapter could be replaced and was NOT integral to the chuck. So I picked up a 5" Burnerd 3 jaw chuck for a pretty nice price. Should be here by Saturday. My small parts washer just got delivered as well.

I've also updated my blog with a new post. No pictures, but a quick video...

http://clausing4914.blogspot.com/

I have a few more posts in the works so stay tuned...

Back