Clausing 4914

My complete tear down has slowed a bit. I'm running out of places to put parts while I work on everything. I did get my parts washer up and running however. This thing is great. I'm glad I spent the money on it. I took Sharon's advice and did not get the crappy plastic HF model. I found one of equal size but with all steel construction. I'd recommend it to anyone with limited space: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OUXAE4/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_ST1_3p_dp_1

I've also come to a complete halt on disassembling the head stock. I can't seem to remove the hub from the spindle. In the exploded parts diagram it would seem that the only thing holding it onto the spindle is a set screw. I've already backed that set screw out. I have a feeling the hub is just stuck on due to gunk and grime. I've been spraying it with PB blaster. There is no good way to attach a gear puller either, since the spindle is hollow, and I really don't want to do anything that may cause damage to any portion of the headstock, so I'm going about this as gently as I can.

Any hints on how to remove this stubborn hub? I wouldn't doubt that once I get the hub off some other headstock parts will be stuck as well, but I can't move on till I get this off.

congrats.

that looks like the same parts washer I have, albit mine is black (different seller with a different sticker on it). it leaves some to be desired (small pump/filteration non existent) but it's small, and does a good job for the occasional use.

As for the hub - which part is that in the parts manual? the aluminum hand wheel? or what the aluminum hand wheel is mounted to?

these parts were not easy to remove as there was a lot of gunk and friction between themselves as well (plus a couple of hidden set screws as far as I can remember.

ah yes... those weren't easy. I'm not sure how far into the disassembly of this you are, so I'll be rather general - I wasn't very precise about this one - but I lightly unbolted all 6 bolts holding those 2 parts together, it wasn't easy as there was a lot of friction there and you cannot (as far as I remember) unbolt the bolts all the way out. so I unbolted them slightly, and wedged the 2 hub components from one another until I was able to release them apart, then I belive there was a 'hidden' set screw in the internal part that was holding it to the spindle.

not sure if this is helpful or if you've already done that or what not...

Very helpful actually. I do not see a "hidden set screw" in the exploded diagram. I have found the set screw in the hub itself, and have backed that out. Yes, I had also started backing out the 6 cap screws holding what I believe is the "plate" to the "spindle pulley assembly" as well. I too noticed that you can only back them out so far because with the hub in place there is not enough clearance to totally remove them. According to the diagram there seems to be a roll pin in the hub as well but I can't tell what it's for. As far as I can see it has something to do with the back gear pin.

I will try the "wedge the components against each other" strategy tonight. That seems like the best way forward. I really don't want to be pounding, even gently with a plastic mallet, on anything connected to the spindle. I don't know enough about these machines to know how much is too much so I'm just going to take it easy. It might just take a whole lot of PB blaster.

Thanks again!

Well now I'm stuck. Nothing seems to get this hub loose. I tried loosening those 6 screws and was able to get a little space between the gear hub assembly and the spindle pulley, but working them against each other did absolutely nothing for the hub. So then I tightened it all back up again and using a piece of scrap steel with a dimple in the middle placed over the spindle end, tried a gear puller on the spindle pulley in hopes that if I pulled on that, it would in turn pull on the hub and loosen it.

No go. All I ended up doing was putting indentations on the inside edge of the spindle pulley. I hope I didn't damage it to the point of causing any problems. I'm getting increasingly frustrated which then causes me to be impatient and try stupid things that may end up breaking something.

Would I do any damage if I heated the hub up with an oxy-acetylene torch to see if that would encourage it to lose its grip on the spindle? I'm at a loss at this point.

AFAIR I had to disassemble the plates from the hub using the 6 bolts in small steps as mentioned earlier, as for the hub itself - I don't remember being able to remove it and just left it in situ along with the rest of the headstock (I did not take apart all the internal gears and the spindle itself from the headstock as can be seen in my blog - linked in my signature line).

2012-03-08_22-13-00_783.jpg

when patience is lost, best course of action is sleep on it - tomorrow things might clear up in your head, or on the spindle ;)

2012-03-08_22-13-00_783.jpg

Well there are two parts, one called just the hub, that the hand wheel is attached to. Then further in there is the "gear hub assembly". From the looks of your pictures, you got the hub, plate, and the spindle pulley assembly off. It looks like your gear hub assembly is where you stopped.

I really need to start being more patient. What I was doing last time with the puller was pulling on the spindle pulley assembly in hopes that it would pull the hub with it. When I looked at the exploded diagram again, I realized there was a snap ring between the hub holding it onto the spindle. So all I was doing was hopelessly pulling it against the snap ring. Ugh.

So you were right, I slept on it and kind of ignored it while I worked on other things. Then when I was working on getting a puller attached to something else it dawned on me. Don't use the biggest puller I have, use the smallest. That way I was able to get the smaller arms of the puller between the spindle pulley and the hub. I kind of had to assemble the puller in place (wish I had 4 hands). Then the hub came off quite easily. Then I got the somewhat bent snap ring off and pulled the rest off. Luckily I didn't do any damage with my misplaced puller to the spindle.

Now the outboard side of the spindle is stripped to the point of the bearing take up nut. I can't seem to get that off. But then I realized that I am not sure if Ken even tore his head stock down any more than that. So that was my questions, is it worth taking the head stock completely apart for sake of cleaning and painting? Or should I just leave it at this point and deal with it the way it is.

I've also got most of the sub assemblies apart. The bed is up on sawhorses; the cabinets, pedestals, etc are all apart. I think I'm making good progress, but I'm starting to realize just how long this is going to take.

I also received my chuck in the mail. It's a 5" Burnerd. I took it all apart and lubed it up. Looks to be in excellent condition. I'll have to wait and see what kind of runout it has when I get everything up and running... in what seems like forever. lol

Kent, I did NOT take the headstock apart. The bearings felt silky smooth so I did not see the need to. I did wash it all the internals down with mineral spirits however.

This is as far as I went:

DSC02452.JPG

DSC02452.JPG

Long time since I posted. More stripping, cleaning, cleaning and cleaning.

I've also run into a few problems. The first I'm really mad at myself for not being a bit more patient. I was using a chain hoist, yes total overkill, to pull the headstock off the lathe. Unfortunately the taper pin wasn't totally lose, the headstock twisted and grabbed the pin and pulled the entire weight of the lathe into the air. The result is a twisted taper pin. So I'm probably going to have to call Clausing and hope I can order a replacement. If I use it in it's current state the alignment is sure to be off.

The other problem was causing something I noticed when I had the lathe running. When the lead screw feed lever was in the upper detente, I noticed the lead screw was not moving, much like it was in neutral. I had to push the lever past the detente to get it to engage. I made a mental note and thought something may have to be adjusted to fix it. After an initial de-greasing of the headstock I noticed that the feed gear is worn all to hell, which I think is why the lever had to be pushed so far up so that the tumbler could engage the worn out gear. I've attached pictures of the issue. Compare them to the two headstock pictures below and you can see how buggered up mine is. Is this something I should try to replace? Will pushing the feed gear past the detente cause other problems? If I can even get a replacement, I'm sure it will be costly as well as then I will definitely have to take apart the headstock to replace it.

IMG_4667.jpgIMG_4664.jpg

I'm a little discouraged at the moment. But then again I didn't pay much for this thing so I guess I got what I paid for.

IMG_4664.jpg IMG_4667.jpg

Back