Best QCTP for 10" Logan

Re: Best QCTP for 10" Logan Need m 14 X 1.5

I will have to order one on e bay I guess.
Went to tractor supply, no good, went to busy beaver, no good, went to lowes, no good, and Ace hardware no good.
Busy beaver and lowes had no taps at all. Tractor supply had a few, Ace had a pretty good stock of standard size, no metric.
Would have thought between 1 of those stores.

I will have to order one on e bay I guess.
Went to tractor supply, no good, went to busy beaver, no good, went to lowes, no good, and Ace hardware no good.
Busy beaver and lowes had no taps at all. Tractor supply had a few, Ace had a pretty good stock of standard size, no metric.
Would have thought between 1 of those stores.

You may have to go online.......

You may have to go online.......

did get a 14mm X 1.5 tap today, place called Specially supply In Wheeling.
All they had though was guy called it a bottoming tap. I took it any how, but it did have about a 1/4" tapered on it. (1/4" up)I th
ought a bottoming tap had clean cut threads all the way to the end.
Anyways, I got it to work OK. Centered it in my lathe. Thanks
Tony
Still cutting and filing the sides.

Here are a few crummy pictures, I am having trouble as of late getting good pictures.
Don't know why??

DSCF0742 Save.JPG DSCF0741 Save.JPG DSCF0734 Save.JPG DSCF0733 save.JPG

Nice work, Tony. What you have there is looking good. Thanks for posting, especially the nice pics - someone else is bound to find all of the information in this thread very useful.

http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=wedge

I have gotten tool holders from Jeff at tools4cheap and from other sources and I have found that the tool holders from Jeff are better made and a bit longer than the competitors.

He has both wedge and piston styles available.

My Logan 9x28 had a piston style on it and I found it to be a good holder. The 14x40 has a Dorian Wedge and it is fantastic. Given the difference in cost, I would go with the wedge even for the 10" Logan, but I am sure you will not notice that much difference between either of them.
Walter

will the holders Jeff sells fit the Phase II QCTP I just got?

I bought a Phase II wedge type AXA for my 10" Logan and have been quite pleased with it. Some of the stuff I do is pushing the size of the machine a little bit, but the toolpost is solid as can be. Oh, and yes, Phase II is a brand name. I think I paid something like $150 or a tad more for mine on sale a few years ago, but don't quote me on the price! Anyway, I am quite pleased with it and I am also glad that I spent a little bit more money on this component, as it's performance is definitely at the heart of everything the lathe does. Lightyears ahead of a lantern toolpost, too. I generally like the old iron best, but there are some modern improvements that really make a difference, such as the QCTP.
Thanks Terry,
Did you or anyone with the Phase II have to change the allen screws on the holders, or are the Phase II ones OK?

Do you guys know if the tool holders tools for cheap sells will fit this Phase II tool post
I was looking at this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I e mailed tools 4 cheap, and he said his tool holders would fit the phase II and Aloris tool posts.
Do you know if the replacement insets tools 4 cheap sells are a quality insert?

Capture.JPG

will the holders Jeff sells fit the Phase II QCTP I just got?

Thanks Terry,
Did you or anyone with the Phase II have to change the allen screws on the holders, or are the Phase II ones OK?

Don't know for sure, but I suspect that they will fit. Yes, the setscrews seem to be a common problem on some of the toolholders. I bought a bag of good setscrews from McMaster, they're relatively cheap when you by them by the 100 piece bag.

Do you guys know if the tool holders tools for cheap sells will fit this Phase II tool post
I was looking at this one.
http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=axastyle16

They probably will. Most AXA tool holders and toolposts are interchangeable, but you will need to check the fit once you get them. I have heard of some cases where the toolholders from CDCO did not fit or work properly on the PhaseII tool post. I have some of the CDCO holders, and they work fine with my QCTP.

I e mailed tools 4 cheap, and he said his tool holders would fit the phase II and Aloris tool posts.
Do you know if the replacement insets tools 4 cheap sells are a quality insert?

No idea. Since the questions about the tool and the inserts are really something of a topic of their own, you might want to start a separate thread about them.

Back