Best QCTP for 10" Logan

Re: Best QCTP for 10" Logan

If you look at these in the Enco catalog you will see that the Phase II wedge is actually a couple bucks cheaper than the piston version. Go ahead and pull the trigger and stimulate the economy a little. :))

Steve

I have the AXA Shars wedge that I picked up eBay a while ago. Shars does discount on eBay once in a while. It has worked just fine for me on my Logan 820... BUT I think the Phase II from Enco is the way I would go if I was doing it today!

Thanks,
Yeah, I am No skilled machinist either, thats for sure. I like to have the lathe for if I need to do something for one of my woodworking machines.
Like I cut the Key way in a Nice Pulley I had for my bandsaw project, you might have seen it on OWWM, (same user name) and I made the table stop for the bandsaw out of 1/2" stock. ( http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111871&sid=19416dd49b8bf0345361962670729616 )
aamof I still need to machine the back plate for my 3 jaw chuck, and I am a little fearful to do so.
Right now I always have to indicate in for the 4 jaw.
Yeah, I am sure the Piston would be fine for my needs/skill level, but then I will be saying " I wonder if I should have got the wedge"
But the Over all quality of the Phase II you have seems good; Right?

Nothing but pleased 100% I have never regretted getting it either. I almost forgot, the first one that I ordered through ENCO was jacked up. I called the Phase II folks and they sent me out a replacement pronto and just told me to send the bad one back to them! They did not even mess with Enco, just took care of me! Nothing but kind words for the Phase II folks from me.

I don't know what you call them, But I have a bunch of tool holders, not really a QCTP, but 3 or 4 set screws locks the tool down, and it's sort of a triangle, with a nut on top, 3 spots for a tool, but often you have to shim under the tool stock to get the tool on center.
I thought a QCTP would be better.
This is the kind I was talking about. Some are Three sides, some are 4 sided.
Except you have to use a wrench on mine. I got a few of these with my lathe.

Tool post in qestion.JPG

This is the kind I was talking about. Some are Three sides, some are 4 sided.
Except you have to use a wrench on mine. I got a few of these with my lathe.

Those are good, but it takes more set up time. A QCTP would be better, but if set up properly, both would do the same job.

Those are good, but it takes more set up time. A QCTP would be better, but if set up properly, both would do the same job.

OK Thanks, I have some 1/2" bits I would like to use too, I read elsewhere I might have to remove some from the bottom of the tool holder, To use the 1/2" bits with an AXA QCTP. Is this true, or am I best to just use 3/8" bits.
Thanks,
Tony

OK Thanks, I have some 1/2" bits I would like to use too, I read elsewhere I might have to remove some from the bottom of the tool holder, To use the 1/2" bits with an AXA QCTP. Is this true, or am I best to just use 3/8" bits.
Thanks,
Tony

This guy on the yahoo group is saying he uses 1/2" bits in a BXA QCTP on a Logan 820. Isn't an 820 a 10" lathe?

Thanks,
Tony

I'm using 1/2" tooling with AXA on my Logan 9" and it works just fine. No where near being out of adjustability.

Back