Best QCTP for 10" Logan

Re: Best QCTP for 10" Logan

I recently bought an Aloris AXA wedge type that came with a set of 6 DTM tool holders. Paid about 300.00 used, which was kind of expensive. Like new condition though..Nice USA made.. I could have spent less and been just as happy, but I decided to go for it. My ways are a little worn and this might be considered overkill. I plan on using it on my South Bend when the resto is done. I probably could get most my money back one day if I needed to. I am an amature and this was probably the best thing I ever got for my lathe. It's hard enough learning the basics, let alone having to deal with the lantern post. What took a lot of time before is now much, much eaiser for me, plus much more ridgid. To me, tools are not only a pleasure and a passion, but can also be a curb against inflation.

Yeah, I might just end up with a wedge type from tools for cheap, unless ENCO puts there phase II on sale.
Seems like ENCO is getting high in a way too.

The one I mentioned is a wedge type available through EBay. Just search for Shars tool post.

I have a lightly used Shars AXA QCTP I would sell for $50 plus shipping. Replace it with a DTM, only because I got a great deal on the DTM.

Harry Boyd
maker@canerods.com

Those DTMs are very nice! I had a AXA size & loved it. The BXAs are very hard to find.

Yeah, I might just end up with a wedge type from tools for cheap, unless ENCO puts there phase II on sale.
Seems like ENCO is getting high in a way too.

I too prefer wedge over piston. Pistons feel like they don't have a good solid lock up like wedge feels like. But I've used pistons before & never had one give out on me or anything like that..

A China QCTP should do just fine as long as it doesn't have issues. Keep in mind that not all China QCTPs are equal even though they all use the same p/n designation including Phase II. There's a reason why Phase II stuff costs more. It's not Enco, prices will never be what they used too, they will keep rising as the years go by.

Last edited:

I have the $98 AXA from CDCO and it's been great.

well, some say the $98.00 from CDCO is good, some say not so good.
Some are saying it is worth the extra $27.00 to go with tools for cheap.
Then some say Phase II.
I see ENCO has free shipping till Friday, With also 10% off, i wonder if it would be worth it to just jet the Phase II, Would be about $167.40.
Or to just go with one of the imports.
Even with a good used tool post with no holders, If I add 5 holders from Shars, I am still over $150.00 total. Plus Shipping.

Last edited:

I have been satisfied with my Phase II piston, but then I suppose the piston is a good match for my machinist skills too! Kidding aside, when I bought my piston post I did a lot of reading prior to purchasing. In honesty, I would have spent a little extra to get the wedge if I would have had a little more dough at the time, but money was really tight so I was lucky to get the piston which has served my needs just fine. As I recall the biggest difference I read about between the wedge and the piston was the wedge was more accurate in "repeatability" than the piston was. I took that to mean that when swapping out toolholders one for another the wedge was more apt to put the toolholder spot on the same place every time. I think that was the greatest difference I recall reading. In summation, if you are short on green brothers and more of a wanna be than a true skilled machinist then I am sure the piston should meet your needs just fine as it did mine. I don't know that I am a hack, but I don't lay any claims to being any machinist GURU. I usaully get done what I set out to do though.

Thanks,
Yeah, I am No skilled machinist either, thats for sure. I like to have the lathe for if I need to do something for one of my woodworking machines.
Like I cut the Key way in a Nice Pulley I had for my bandsaw project, you might have seen it on OWWM, (same user name) and I made the table stop for the bandsaw out of 1/2" stock. ( http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111871&sid=19416dd49b8bf0345361962670729616 )
aamof I still need to machine the back plate for my 3 jaw chuck, and I am a little fearful to do so.
Right now I always have to indicate in for the 4 jaw.
Yeah, I am sure the Piston would be fine for my needs/skill level, but then I will be saying " I wonder if I should have got the wedge"
But the Over all quality of the Phase II you have seems good; Right?

I have been satisfied with my Phase II piston, but then I suppose the piston is a good match for my machinist skills too! Kidding aside, when I bought my piston post I did a lot of reading prior to purchasing. In honesty, I would have spent a little extra to get the wedge if I would have had a little more dough at the time, but money was really tight so I was lucky to get the piston which has served my needs just fine. As I recall the biggest difference I read about between the wedge and the piston was the wedge was more accurate in "repeatability" than the piston was. I took that to mean that when swapping out toolholders one for another the wedge was more apt to put the toolholder spot on the same place every time. I think that was the greatest difference I recall reading. In summation, if you are short on green brothers and more of a wanna be than a true skilled machinist then I am sure the piston should meet your needs just fine as it did mine. I don't know that I am a hack, but I don't lay any claims to being any machinist GURU. I usaully get done what I set out to do though.

You know, actually the Phase II AXA at Enco http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=890-9636&PMPXNO=4882165
and the 111 AXA series at Shars are the same price. http://www.shars.com/products/view/1552/Quick_Change_Tool_Post_Set_Wedge_Type_111_AXA
Then Enco has the 10% off and free shipping till Friday.
May just pull the trigger on The Phase II at Enco.
Edit
Looks Like the same tool holders come with both sets.

Thanks,
Yeah, I am No skilled machinist either, thats for sure. I like to have the lathe for if I need to do something for one of my woodworking machines.
Like I cut the Key way in a Nice Pulley I had for my bandsaw project, you might have seen it on OWWM, (same user name) and I made the table stop for the bandsaw out of 1/2" stock. ( http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111871&sid=19416dd49b8bf0345361962670729616 )
aamof I still need to machine the back plate for my 3 jaw chuck, and I am a little fearful to do so.
Right now I always have to indicate in for the 4 jaw.
Yeah, I am sure the Piston would be fine for my needs/skill level, but then I will be saying " I wonder if I should have got the wedge"
But the Over all quality of the Phase II you have seems good; Right?

Last edited:
Back