Best QCTP for 10" Logan

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
I was reading that the AXA size is what l need.
And that many prefer the wedge type over the piston type.
These 2 here, what is the difference, and what is better.
Links might not work write, here are the numbers too.

http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php
68566$168.00$98.00

http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php
29461$98.00$78.00

Would the difference be that the $98.00 one is the wedge type,
and the $78.00 one is the piston type?

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited:
It looks like the cheaper one is a piston type and the other is a wedge. Some folks are happy with CDCO stuff and others......not so much. Personally I think the QCTP is sort of the heart of all your lathe work. I decided to spend a little more and went with the Phase II wedge type.

Steve

It looks like the cheaper one is a piston type and the other is a wedge. Some folks are happy with CDCO stuff and others......not so much. Personally I think the QCTP is sort of the heart of all your lathe work. I decided to spend a little more and went with the Phase II wedge type.

Steve

While I did not buy a wedge type Phase II post when I bought my piston type post I was totally pleased pleased and blown away with the improved performance of my lathe. I seriously have to agree with what you said about this being at the heart of lathe work.

I have a lightly used Shars AXA QCTP I would sell for $50 plus shipping. Replace it with a DTM, only because I got a great deal on the DTM.

Harry Boyd
maker@canerods.com

http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=wedge

I have gotten tool holders from Jeff at tools4cheap and from other sources and I have found that the tool holders from Jeff are better made and a bit longer than the competitors.

He has both wedge and piston styles available.

My Logan 9x28 had a piston style on it and I found it to be a good holder. The 14x40 has a Dorian Wedge and it is fantastic. Given the difference in cost, I would go with the wedge even for the 10" Logan, but I am sure you will not notice that much difference between either of them.

Walter

Either a piston or a wedge is light years better than a lantern. At least that is my opinion.

Re: Best QCTP for 10" Logan

Steve

I take it then "Phase II" is the Brand?

- - - Updated - - -

Either a piston or a wedge is light years better than a lantern. At least that is my opinion.
I don't know what you call them, But I have a bunch of tool holders, not really a QCTP, but 3 or 4 set screws locks the tool down, and it's sort of a triangle, with a nut on top, 3 spots for a tool, but often you have to shim under the tool stock to get the tool on center.
I thought a QCTP would be better.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a lightly used Shars AXA QCTP I would sell for $50 plus shipping. Replace it with a DTM, only because I got a great deal on the DTM.

Harry Boyd
maker@canerods.com

what one is it, do you have a link to it?

Last edited:

Everywhere I am reading, Wedge Type Quick-Change Tool Post, is the way to go.
Thanks,
Tony

I bought a Phase II wedge type AXA for my 10" Logan and have been quite pleased with it. Some of the stuff I do is pushing the size of the machine a little bit, but the toolpost is solid as can be. Oh, and yes, Phase II is a brand name. I think I paid something like $150 or a tad more for mine on sale a few years ago, but don't quote me on the price! Anyway, I am quite pleased with it and I am also glad that I spent a little bit more money on this component, as it's performance is definitely at the heart of everything the lathe does. Lightyears ahead of a lantern toolpost, too. I generally like the old iron best, but there are some modern improvements that really make a difference, such as the QCTP.

Thanks Terry,
Darn, looks like the Phase II is about $186.00 at ENCO right now.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=890-9636&PMPXNO=4882165

I bought a Phase II wedge type AXA for my 10" Logan and have been quite pleased with it. Some of the stuff I do is pushing the size of the machine a little bit, but the toolpost is solid as can be. Oh, and yes, Phase II is a brand name. I think I paid something like $150 or a tad more for mine on sale a few years ago, but don't quote me on the price! Anyway, I am quite pleased with it and I am also glad that I spent a little bit more money on this component, as it's performance is definitely at the heart of everything the lathe does. Lightyears ahead of a lantern toolpost, too. I generally like the old iron best, but there are some modern improvements that really make a difference, such as the QCTP.

Back