Best QCTP for 10" Logan

OK Thanks, Maybe I will just get the holder for now.
I got to get back in to this, I got away from all of it for a while.
I still have to machine the back plate for my collet set too.

I have a question on these tool holders.
I am pretty sure I have it right,
But on the adjustment to center the holder,
The knurled nut on the screw, and the regular nut on the screw, they are supposed to be locked together, by tightening one another against each other; correct?
Then you loosen the wedge, and turn the knurled part to adjust, and lock down your wedge.
Thanks,
Tony

I have an AXA on my 13", it's on a 1/2" spacer block but it works very well. A BXA should suit nicely.
I think your fine with an AXA.

Tony,

This applies to both piston and wedge-type posts. The hex nut should be above the knurled nut on the stud, with a wave washer in between. With the lever in the release position, drop the holder onto the post dovetail. If you need to install a cutter, lock the lever, install the cutter, and unlock the lever. Loosen the hex nut. Make your height adjustment with the knurled nut, lock the lever, check your adjustment, tighten the hex nut with your fingers, recheck your adjustment. Make shavings.

Note that if you have had surgery on your hands, like for carpel-tunnel, you may be more comfortable using a stubby wrench on the hex nut. In another 10 or 15 years, I may have to. But most people don't need to.

Robert D.

Tony,

This applies to both piston and wedge-type posts. The hex nut should be above the knurled nut on the stud, with a wave washer in between. With the lever in the release position, drop the holder onto the post dovetail. If you need to install a cutter, lock the lever, install the cutter, and unlock the lever. Loosen the hex nut. Make your height adjustment with the knurled nut, lock the lever, check your adjustment, tighten the hex nut with your fingers, recheck your adjustment. Make shavings.

Note that if you have had surgery on your hands, like for carpel-tunnel, you may be more comfortable using a stubby wrench on the hex nut. In another 10 or 15 years, I may have to. But most people don't need to.

Robert D.

So I don't have to tighten the two nuts, together with a wrench?
Just hand tighten the hex nut up to the knurled nut, (after making my adjustment) and the wave washer keeps it tight?

Just hand tighten the hex nut up to the knurled nut, (after making my adjustment) and the wave washer keeps it tight?

I have been tightening the nut with a wrench but I see YouTube machinists just make it finger tight against the wavy washer. I had to change cutters in a couple of tool holders yesterday and just made them finger tight. The height stayed where it was set, at least it did during yesterday's use.

good luck with your new QCTP

Mike

mrbreezeet1 ,

I don't suppose it will hurt anything (although there could be a tendency to turn the knurled nut a little), but I never have. Probably my most-used holder is a No. 116 (two replaceable inserts, one for facing, one for turning). I usually check the height after replacing an insert but I adjusted it the last time sometime in the last Century and haven't done it since. Same with the V-nose cutter that I use for beveling and edge breaking.

Robert D.

I have an AXA on my 13", it's on a 1/2" spacer block but it works very well. A BXA should suit nicely.
I think your fine with an AXA.
Yes, the AXA 0r 100 size seems to be good for the little 10" Logan.

I have a question on these tool holders.
I am pretty sure I have it right,
But on the adjustment to center the holder,
The knurled nut on the screw, and the regular nut on the screw, they are supposed to be locked together, by tightening one another against each other; correct?
Then you loosen the wedge, and turn the knurled part to adjust, and lock down your wedge.
Thanks,
Tony

Tony,

Robert D.
I see, so If I lock my lever after adjustment, and leave the knurled nut where it is, then lock the hex nut down onto the knurled nut The adjustment should not change?

mrbreezeet1 ,

I don't suppose it will hurt anything (although there could be a tendency to turn the knurled nut a little), but I never have. Probably my most-used holder is a No. 116 (two replaceable inserts, one for facing, one for turning). I usually check the height after replacing an insert but I adjusted it the last time sometime in the last Century and haven't done it since. Same with the V-nose cutter that I use for beveling and edge breaking.
Robert D.
Did you buy a Phase II 166 holder, or one of the Imports?
Where are you getting you inserts, (what is the size and number)
I got this little set of import cutters, with replaceable inserts, but it cut nice at first, but seemed to dull very quick.

I have been tightening the nut with a wrench but I see YouTube machinists just make it finger tight against the wavy washer. I had to change cutters in a couple of tool holders yesterday and just made them finger tight. The height stayed where it was set, at least it did during yesterday's use.
Good luck with your new QCTPMike

OK, But are you guys loosening the knurled nut and the hex nut before making adjustments?
Looks like thats what I saw a fellow on You tube doing,
but it seemed to me the tool would adjust with the nuts locked together.
Maybe that is not the case though.

Yes, the AXA 0r 100 size seems to be good for the little 10" Logan.

I see, so If I lock my lever after adjustment, and leave the knurled nut where it is, then lock the hex nut down onto the knurled nut The adjustment should not change?

I got this little set of import cutters, with replaceable inserts, but it cut nice at first, but seemed to dull very quick.

OK, But are you guys loosening the knurled nut and the hex nut before making adjustments?
Looks like thats what I saw a fellow on You tube doing,
but it seemed to me the tool would adjust with the nuts locked together.
Maybe that is not the case though.

Well The reason it was adjusting with the nuts locked together, is my stud was loose, so with the nuts locked together, the stud was moving, allowing it to adjust.
I tightened down the stud, and things make a lot more sense to me.

Anthony,

I guess that this question was aimed at me. No and yes, but not the imports you are thinking of. My QCTP is a Yuasa 740-100 bought new in 1981 and no longer made. Some of the holders, including the 116, were bought with the TP. Some (mostly 101's or 102's) have been bought from various sources including Wholesale Tools (who used to have a store in Houston) over the years since.

I've bought inserts various places over the years, including WT, Enco, and Bass Tool (local). The sizes depend upon the holders. The material grade on what I wanted to cut with them.

Glad to hear that you found the loose screw at the wheel. :))

Robert D.

Back