Been thinking about a new car

Well, being a Ford guy you might find this appealing. Starts a 500K, and not much for carrying the family around, but after five minutes on a nice mountain road you just might forget you had a family. As to what the wife might say, we won't go there, although we actually considered buying one as an investment/occasional driver. ;) Mike

My favourite car of all time, all generations!

They are just drop dead gorgeous.

I was curious how the original 60's GT40 compared to the new mid engine vette and looked it up, top speed of the original recorded at LeMans was 1MPH faster than the new vette, that's pretty impressive or embarrassing depending on your perspective.

I didn't read the entire thread, but one more data point. My wife had an outback, worst car for reliability we have ever had. Engine failed while under warranty, the replacement needed a valve job at < 100,000 km. After that sensors and finally a connecting rod started knocking. We did all scheduled maintenance this thing was a complete POS. It was great in the snow (when it wasn't being fixed).

We have had six Toyota's every one near flawless, all six combined had less problems over their entire lifetime than the outback had in its first three years. My current daily driver 05 ES330 has not had a single repair, just routine maintenance. I will never buy another Subaru, and after the success we have had with Toyota don't want to buy anything else, they have earned my loyalty.
Whew, You got a lemon with that Subaru.

My favourite car of all time, all generations!

They are just drop dead gorgeous.

I was curious how the original 60's GT40 compared to the new mid engine vette and looked it up, top speed of the original recorded at LeMans was 1MPH faster than the new vette, that's pretty impressive or embarrassing depending on your perspective.
Since I worked for a Ford dealer in the early 2000{s, and we won the President’s Award that year, we received an allocation for a Ford GT.
Man, what a cool car.
The buyers bought it, drove it home, put it on jack stands and never drove it.
That should be illegal.
I had the pleasure of driving it to the gas station. :)

Last edited:
It only takes one bad experience with a vehicle to ruin their reputation forever in your eyes.
Thats why my Grenada prevented me from even looking at a Ford since.

Since I worked for a Ford dealer in the early 2000{s, and we won the President’s Award that year, we received an allocation for a Ford GT.
Man, what a cool car.
That should be illegal.
You drove a GT.. You suck... :you suck:

Man, what a cool car.
That should be illegal.

Yeah, that thing makes a new Lotus look like a Smart car in comparison. I would have been driving to the gas station like Rainman. Slow on the driveway, only on Sundays. I'm an excellent driver. Yeah. These aren't K-Mart underwear...

Hi @David2011

I did not mean to offend you in any way!

You said, describing the picture of my F150, ... "That actually is the extended cab model. I have a 2000 F-150 4x4 with the extended cab and useful 6-1/2 foot narrow bed. Agree 100% about the 4 door trucks and 4'-5' beds. They're trucks in name only. " I guess I do not understand the definition of an "extended" cab. I thought that word was used to describe the trucks that you could load up 5 or 6 men in! I have never thought of my truck as an "extended" cab because no one could get it that storage area via the small doors of my truck. So if it is not "extended" what do they call the cabs on those 5-6 passenger vehicles. Anyway, since you have the same cab style as my F150 do you know of any other model/brand that is currently available on the market and is any thing like my "very short extended cab" but with the 8 foot bed?

I know one can get a 5-6 passenger truck with an 8 foot bed, but it is too long to be useful to me.

I have thought about a shorter truck to haul a long trailer more than once, but there is no real place to park it at my home. If I cannot find one then since I drive the truck so seldom maybe the "desirable" solution is one of @FOMOGO proposed vintage Shelbys .... only with the trailer hitch!!! ;)
Out here in the hinterlands, the 5-6 passenger full size truck is called a "crew cab", because they are used to haul a crew of loggers to the hills. When there is a larger crew, they use a small bus, called a "Crummy."

It is nearly impossible to find a new "standard" cab because original buyers of that model don't order so many of the expensive options. The manufacturer and dealer make their money on the options, so they don't stock the standard cabs. Most are sold to businesses for fleets. These are low-margin products, often stripped-down versions. I talked to a fellow who owns a portable rock crushing company that works for timber companies. He had a F350 standard cab on backorder for almost three years and it still hadn't been built!

They kind of have a point. ;)

Most of these Kei trucks have a 6 foot bed which is longer than a lot of pickup trucks these days which run 5-5-1/2 feet, with 6-6-1/2 feet being "long beds".

I wanted an 8 foot for lumber but can live with the 6-1/2' bed on my truck. 8 foot sheet goods mean I have to drop the tail gate, but at least it is fully within the tailgate, and I can put narrow 8 foot goods (2x4s etc) diagonally and close the tailgate.
I'm constantly amazed at what I see loaded on Toyota trucks in Thailand. I've never owned a 'full' sized pickup. A 82 Datsun then a 98 S10. Now, we have a '12 Tacoma 4 door 2WD with a fiberlass bed cover. Best vehicle ever for us. Sits high, has a really big trunk....

Attachments

• toyota1.jpg
    toyota1.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 14
  • toyota2.jpg
    toyota2.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 14
Could you imagine riding anywhere in that glorified go-cart? 43 horsepower! LOL. It couldn't tow a trailer full of leaves. I think they call it a rice burner.

Whoever made that video has no clue about market drivers.
Rode in these a few times in Vietnam, used as mini vans (busses?). Bench seats on either side, and a roof, with a 'step-platform-bumper' on back. I counted 21 people onboard once....

We pulled the plug today.
The winner is............
2024 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited. AWD with all the bells and whistles she loves.
It's a nice car!! 37MPG with a tiny 1.6 turbo charger but it does get up and go if you ask it to nicely :)
My wife loves it. This is the first time in her life she was able to buy the vehicle she wanted with the options and colors she wanted.
I'm very happy for her. She deserves it.

We paid $35K OTD with her trade. I'm very happy about the deal. I was prepared to part with $50K. Whew!!
Congratulation @Janderso. I think you will love it. We sure like our new 2023 Santa Fe Limited. We looked at the Tuscon and considered it a very worthy contender but wanted something just a little larger.

Back