Been thinking about a new car

If you are doing construction and need 8 ft. of bed, consider a standard cab truck and put a service box on it. I have been driving standard cabs with service bodies for over 25 years. You can keep your tools and supplies in the side compartments and use the 4x8 foot bed area to haul your lumber, plywood, and drywall. Put a rack on the box with an overhang above the cab if you haul really long stuff. While the load area is narrower, it is just as wide as between the wheel wells of a regular bed, and the slightly higher sides of the service body mean it doesn't lose cargo volume.

The side compartments lock and no-one can peer inside without opening the compartment door. This keeps thieves from casing the truck before breaking in. You are limited in space behind the seat to keep garments and paperwork dry, but I've been able to deal with that. I find that the more space you have, the more likely you are to clutter it up.

The standard cab overall length is the maximum for parking and maneuvering in urban areas. I only encounter this problem when I go to the City, since I spend almost all my time in rural areas, but the standard cab is handier even here.

I'll never go back to a standard pickup box.

I have read through this topic. Lots of ideas but one must choose what fits their needs. I have a 2019 Camry SE Hybrid. Fits five in comfort, good ride and excellent mpg. If we need to move something large or heavy, hook up the trailer.
Even the wife’s 2015 Corolla Hauls the trailer. Before we had the Camry, we loaded a Kubota with front end loader on the trailer and took it home. Definitely got some looks of surprise from other drivers that day!
Pierre

PS the Corolla and trailer has moved more dirt and gravel than most of the pickups around here. Upwards of 15 tons to date!

I don’t doubt that you get some looks when towing the Kzbota. The towing capacity of a Corolla is only about 1500 lbs

When it comes to new cars

Buy what makes you happy and is comfortable.
The way we figure it, I have my truck, it hauls me around with a smile on my face and pulls our RV just fine.
For my wife, she has wanted a hybrid such as an Outback, Forrester or Rav 4.
The Forrester seems too small to me.

My daily driver is a Tundra. It has one of those short beds so when I need to get longer things, I just hook up the 14' trailer.

I never thought of my 2010 Camry as a hauler.
I know a guy that collects old tools that uses a Camry of that era as a truck. It is amazing what he hauls in it! The upholstery is really beat up from this, but I think he has hauled almost a ton in it in one load.

I think the last heavy load I had was about 2000lbs inside a ford expedition, and that was after leaving about half of the fixtures behind. Definitely took it easy on the drive home.

Back