Been thinking about a new car

Nice! Hope it treats her well! If not, Hyundai has one of the better warranties in the business. 10 years on the powertrain is nice.
I think hybrid is the way to go. Electric assist for in town MPG, but no worry about running out of charge, such as can be the case with a pure electric vehicle.
My biggest concern is all the electronics. The touch screen interface like a tablet or I-pad. They do go out.
We bought the overlap insurance just in case. We are covered for the next ten years one way or the other.
We've all heard the stories.
I remember when my wife's Lincoln sun-moon roof track had to be replaced. It was $3,800. Fortunately it was under warranty.
The electronic displays can run over $6,000. Not to mention the cost to replace an EV or Hybrid battery. Those run $20,000-$60,000!!

Last edited:
My biggest concern is all the electronics. The touch screen interface like a tablet or I-pad. They do go out.
We bought the overlap insurance just in case. We are covered for the next ten years one way or the other.

Good call!

I have a 2017 Civic. Before buying it, I researched and found a huge number of complaints related to the center control screen on the '16 model (first year of the X gen platform). Big red flag! I know that Honda, being a Japanese company, will have lots of engineers working in the background fixing the bugs, so I took the leap and made the purchase. As expected, the electronics were greatly improved. Not perfect, but serviceable, so far. Fingers crossed!

I couldn't agree more. No range anxiety!! And, it will start and run in cold weather, as long as you have gas in the tank that is.
My parents bought a Ford hybrid, can't remember which model, and they love it. They go weeks in-between filling it with gas. They found it gets better milage around town than it does on the highway when the engine needs to run full time.

The state by state laws vary quite a bit too, so might be legal in one state but not in another.

Agree. In California, annual registration requires a smog test for most cars. I had a 90's era Chevy 2500 pickup that would not pass and was termed a "gross polluter". It couldn't be sold, so I gave it to a homeless guy that used to walk by the house occasionally. He was delighted, but I saw him a few months later walking again. I asked, of course. He said with delight, "I sold it to a guy in Nevada for $800". So homeless does not mean stupid.

I replaced it with a '94 Ford F250 that has been lifted, has grab handles and steps, locking hubs, all black. When I gas up almost always there will be some male 16 to 24 years old who will come up and say "great truck, man". I see no reason to ever have a new pickup...what's the point if you can't dump a yard of gravel or such in it. This truck has 275,000 miles, runs perfectly.

But cars...I have been spoiled by my Lexus LS430. My fifth, it's 20 years old, everything works exactly like when I bought it new. It's the most reliable and economic car I've ever had. On a recent long road trip, it got 25 mpg or better at 80+ mph. I had it detailed by a guy in Tucson...when he finished he asked, not really joking, "is it new". I can't see what would be better, but lately I've been kind of looking around for a Lexus LS600hl. It doesn't seem like anything else would actually be a step up.

We've all heard the stories.
I remember when my wife's Lincoln sun-moon roof track had to be replaced. It was $3,800. Fortunately it was under warranty.
The electronic displays can run over $6,000. Not to mention the cost to replace an EV or Hybrid battery. Those run $20,000-$60,000!!

One of my co-workers bought a Hyundai hybrid for his wife. He seems quite happy with it.

I travel a lot for work, and often end up with a rental car. I used to like getting to drive a fairly new rental. The past couple of years not so much, because of all the electronics, and driver assists. I worked in Mississippi this past November and ended up with a Hyundai SUV (forget the model). Nice car but the whole two weeks that car was constantly yelling at me, and scared the heck out of me a couple times when it vigorously flashed warnings so quickly that I couldn't even see what they were for. I have also found lane control really does not like roads that need repair, had to fight with it several times in places where tar had been used to fill in cracks. It even tried to force me off the road once when it grossly misread the road.

Not a Hyundai issue, it was a nice car but the technology on new cars. :surrender:

Supposedly you can turn a lot of that off, but not worth the effort to figure out when just renting, and they all do it a different way.

The auto-shutoff and the lane assist are the two things I turn off / disable every time I get in the car… Adaptive cruise control, on the other hand, love it!

Will be keeping my ‘97 F 250 7.3l for a very long time.

IMG_4344.jpeg

Here she is at Little America on a cross country trip. Closing in on 300k and if the engine ever goes out I will rebuild it.

Bought it new in 1998 to replace a ‘67 F250 I had which I decided couldn’t be a project too (needed a reliable hauler for my race car).

This was my daily for a long time but now I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX I bought for $2k. Never thought of myself as a Cadillac guy but it would be hard to give up the comfort now.

John

Agree. In California, annual registration requires a smog test for most cars. I had a 90's era Chevy 2500 pickup that would not pass and was termed a "gross polluter". It couldn't be sold, so I gave it to a homeless guy that used to walk by the house occasionally. He was delighted, but I saw him a few months later walking again. I asked, of course. He said with delight, "I sold it to a guy in Nevada for $800". So homeless does not mean stupid.

I replaced it with a '94 Ford F250 that has been lifted, has grab handles and steps, locking hubs, all black. When I gas up almost always there will be some male 16 to 24 years old who will come up and say "great truck, man". I see no reason to ever have a new pickup...what's the point if you can't dump a yard of gravel or such in it. This truck has 275,000 miles, runs perfectly.

But cars...I have been spoiled by my Lexus LS430. My fifth, it's 20 years old, everything works exactly like when I bought it new. It's the most reliable and economic car I've ever had. On a recent long road trip, it got 25 mpg or better at 80+ mph. I had it detailed by a guy in Tucson...when he finished he asked, not really joking, "is it new". I can't see what would be better, but lately I've been kind of looking around for a Lexus LS600hl. It doesn't seem like anything else would actually be a step up.
Fortunately in California we get four or five years of grace, no smog required. After that it's every two years.
A smog inspection now is just a visual and they test the computer for codes. no big deal.

That's how I feel about our 04 crown Vic, very comfy and fun to drive. For a large car it handles like a sports coupe, and while not really quick, it can pass with confidence while getting 24 mpg at 80mph. Whats not to like? Mike

This was my daily for a long time but now I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX I bought for $2k. Never thought of myself as a Cadillac guy but it would be hard to give up the comfort now.

Back