Any Builders/Carpenters Here?

@mickri septic. Not sure but yes the plumber said they have to move where the water heater and wash tub will be so they can fit the sewage basket and pump.
I hired a builder to build the house. I met with him several times before he started.

Likely you will find the other end of the truss is long since the truss was not centered.
Building inspectors only hit some of the houses in a development, I don’t know if you are in this situation. As for workers, many are simply hired if they can swing a hammer. No training, no skill.
Pierre

It is the same on the other side of the house but yeah worth another look. I'm trying to find someone to inspect so far no luck. I'll keep you posted.

Stop all work on the house. Check everything that has been done so far for conformance to the plans and specs. Fix everything that is not in conformance to the plans and specs. Don't accept bandaids and work arounds.

Reading between the lines my guess is that you own the land and hired the builder to build the house. If that is the case you can't just walk away from the project if the builder refuses to correct the problems to your satisfaction. The two issues you have mentioned so far are problems with the framing and the plumbing. If the framing is limited to the rafter tails and fascia that can be fixed. I am more concerned about the septic system potentially not being installed at the proper depth. Another guess is that the plumber did not install the septic system. You need to find out why the exit is too high. It could be as simple as the pipe has too much slope coming from the septic tank to the house. Or it could be the other extreme where the entire septic system needs to be dug up and redone according to the plans and specs. Or the plans and specs could be in error. You won't know who is at fault until you figure out where the error is.

If you would like send me a private message with your phone number and I'll call you.

I do not own the land. The builder owns it. Three acres that I'm paying $50,000 for.
I'm at work now so need to get back on the job.
I talked to a carpenter who referred to me and is going to look with me this weekend.
I told my realtor to tell the builder to stop until the get it looked at.

Have a conversation with the county inspector!

It is his job to see this and address it.

Do EVERYTHING IN WRITING!

Emails with photos great as nd do not turn off geotagging as that places time and location in photo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Usually trusses are built in a jig at the factory. I'd be looking at the top plate and the walls to see if the trusses were set right. Check the walls for straightness...Check and see if all the trusses were set on the walls at the same measurement....

I don't see any issues with the trusses. I would bet that the trusses are within 1/128" of design spec. It is the installation that isn't meeting code. The idiots who installed the trusses and the fascia are the ones causing the problems.

I am glad to hear that you don't own the land. IMHO that gives you more leverage over the builder.

Builder's love stop work orders. Gives them ammo to come back for more money because of delay. Use caution.

I do not own the land. The builder owns it. Three acres that I'm paying $50,000 for.
I'm at work now so need to get back on the job.
I talked to a carpenter who referred to me and is going to look with me this weekend.
I told my realtor to tell the builder to stop until the get it looked at.

In this case the builder owns the land and is building a house to suit. Big difference from your typical construction contract. I am sure that ddickey's purchase agreement includes a clause that the house is to be built in conformance to the plans and specs. Ddickey can back out of the deal if that doesn't happen. Or if the builder tries to claim delay or any additional costs to fix what should have been done right in the first place. If ddickey backs out of the deal the builder is stuck with a spec house that he will need to sell asap. Maybe even at a loss. IMHO the builder has every incentive to keep ddickey happy.

Back