Any Builders/Carpenters Here?

@ddickey hows the quality of the rest of their work?

@DavidR8 Seems okay. I was not able to get in last weekend as the doors were locked. I'll try again this weekend and get more pics.
Kind of bummed they put the electrical service on the opposite side of where I'd like to build a shop. When I asked about that before they started he said he had no control of that.

@DavidR8 Seems okay. I was not able to get in last weekend as the doors were locked. I'll try again this weekend and get more pics.
Kind of bummed they put the electrical service on the opposite side of where I'd like to build a shop. When I asked about that before they started he said he had no control of that.
They likely did not have control over that as the electrical service was probably already trenched in to a specified point. That does suck big time though.

I am no carpenter but its obvious that isn't right. I built a garage several years ago and we resided and replaced windows last year, this year fixing our deck that was built wrong. The guys at work give me guff but at least I know its as correct as I can do it. I have all but quit hiring out work and getting a crap job so do everything in my power to do it myself. Amazing how you can learn a trade you never have had a desire to pursue, for the reasons you just posted. If you cant do things to a decent standard the first time when will you have time to do it right later has been my motto as of late.

Assuming everything works out okay I may see if I can get service and gas straight to the shop. I'm not sure how much that would cost but I'll ask.

Architect here.
Yes, that is substandard. Best fix at this point is to add some plywood gussets and/or blocking.
Which will take 2x as long as it would have to do it right the first time.

Last edited:
mickri nailed it.
You are the customer, get in their faces. Find out who owns the company and start with them. If you have to pay for an inspector get a ground up assessment and sue the constructor for the cost. Work shown is clearly not acceptable. How come you can't get into your build?
I have no idea what your local rules are but up here complaints about an inspector, if justified, get them cashiered and end of career for all time so while they can be helpful on a home build often with extremely valuable advice they tend to go hard on a commercial build. If there is a hint of corruption and backhanders on a commercial job they can also be jailed so they tend to do their job well.

Back