Any Builders/Carpenters Here?

Assuming everything works out okay I may see if I can get service and gas straight to the shop. I'm not sure how much that would cost but I'll ask.

If you mean a separate meter for your shop, you should probably check with your energy provider about their policies. I have a separate meter for my shop and originally, that was great. I use very little power vs. the house so the bill was tiny. About 10 Yrs. or so ago, the provider changed their billing policy. Now every meter starts out with a ~$25 minimum "service" charge. My monthly bill for the shop went from $10-15 to $35-45. Still sticks in my craw...

Guys, I got a response back.
The short of it is it's his A crew. He's built 1500 homes never one problem.
They are putting up drywall today.
So when I asked to stop that was ignored.
He also said if I've lost faith in him I can get out of the contract. Also I can't enter the house without my realtor with me.

Sounds like he's good at deflecting problems. How many decades does it take to build 1500 homes? And I doubt even one home has ever been built without one problem.

Depending on how long he has been building 1500 homes equates to 50 to 100 homes per year. Not saying it can't be done.

Ddickey at this point only you can make the decision on whether you want this house. Or find another one.

I would call the inspection from the county before they cover it up. That will fail I think. Those support the edge of the roof.

If this is that bad, what else can be? I would videotapes and take pictures of everything before they cover them up.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="mickri, post: 769313, must documentm

Ddickey at this point only you can make the decision on whether you want this house. Or find another one.
[/QUOTE]
If he hasn't started on any extras you agreed on, I would walk. But you must document all problems that your expert has seen. Do this to insure yourself against any contract breach.

I did get a text that said there were a couple of tails on rafters that they fixed. I will be going out this weekend. The realtor will come so I can get in. I'm bringing a reputable carpenter from town here. I looked around online to see what else was available and there is no land at a reasonable price. Plus I'm living in my sisters basement and all my machines are in storage. I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. To top it all off I slaughtered a deer driving to work yesterday.

Repeating past...

The county inspector us the enforcement tool here and not "your buddy".

Call the Inspector on the phone and ask them.

Ask if you could text him the photos and request his opinion.

If he states they meet code ask for copy of document that shows this is okay.

Likely he will not like it and you should insist he revisit.

If it snows there then the structure does not look to be strong as if it as nailed to trusses.

Ask to be present when inspector visits as you would like to look closely at more areas.

Given the building is build to suit for final sale you may have no official interest and inspector may use that as excuse to not react.

Your realtor should be able to get past that.

Again, follow everything with confirmation email and transposition to email or text first as this is free cloud based discoverable copy that can be used in the court.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ddickey is the contract purchaser and has limited influence on the whole job. The inspector is under no obligation to revisit a previous inspection...The soon to be owner should document with pictures and licensed builder/carpenter, the faults. Any problems that arise during the warranty period can then be addressed with authority.

The builder is on notice that you are watching. This should cause him to move more to his A game. If he stops you from visiting, time to talk to a lawyer.

Back