Any Builders/Carpenters Here?

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm building a house, not me but a builder and noticed these gaps between the fascia board and overhang. They are in both the front and back of the house. The center of the house has a slightly raised roof so the trusses must be different. I think the they came a little to short from the manufacturer. I complained to my realtor who communicates with the builder. Thinking maybe this is normal? It looks shotty to me. What say you?
1597790869775.png
1597790929427.png
1597790944611.png
1597790986202.png

I'm not a builder but I've done a bunch of framing...that there is poor workmanship. My aim in framing is nothing larger than 1/64 gap. Anywhere.
Don't get me started on the chewed up lumber....

I’m not a builder by practice put that sure does look like a measure once cut once and saying oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be embarrassed to have built something like that. I don't know how people can do that sort of work. It is certainly not the correct way to construct something. That being said... it isn't that unusual from what I have seen at new construction sites.

That sort of mistake always leads me to question "what else did they do wrong?".

Looks like that California building style has finally made its way to you!

I'd put my foot down over that kind of work. Check everything carefully. That's not worth $200/sqft, is it?
+1 to that. I had a house built in the 80's by a reputable builder and I warned them beforehand that I would not accept shoddy workmanship. I was on site at the end of everyday. I marked anything I didn't like with a red carpenter's crayon and sent a list to the GC for correction. Worked like a charm. They hated me but it was my money!

The GC should have refused delivery of those trusses. In fact they should never have left the factory...

I see crap boards everywhere too. I'm really unhappy with it. I regret not learning the trade from my dad who was a master as I'd build my own home.
I put 3 grand down and to be honest I feel like walking away.

Looks like that California building style has finally made its way to you!

I'd put my foot down over that kind of work. Check everything carefully. That's not worth $200/sqft, is it?
Do you mean finished sqft, or?

Back