Any Builders/Carpenters Here?

I see crap boards everywhere too. I'm really unhappy with it. I regret not learning the trade from my dad who was a master as I'd build my own home.
I put 3 grand down and to be honest I feel like walking away.
Is there a performance-type clause in your contract?
The inspector may call out these things but by that point it's really expensive to fix and generally makes the builder annoyed enough to still slack off and do lousy work.

The GC should have refused delivery of those trusses. In fact they should never have left the factory...
sorry for the OT, but
many moons ago when i did deck work, on a job in the SF Bay Area- we had the erectors reading the same plans we had for the placement of the columns and beams. we were responsible for installing the concrete form deck onto the beams and welding it up solid.
when we ran out of deck that was specified for the job, there was a rim of 13" left that had no provision for support.
(normal was to have 1 to 4" longer hang off)
the steel erectors messed up when they set the last row of columns,
yep- you guessed it the steel was 12" off.
it cost the GC a hundred thousand to correct

Is it a single home, or a tract/development? When some of those quick and dirty tract home builders come through, it's a crap whirlwind. For a single home, you should have the ability to talk with your builder and give them the opportunity to fire that crew, remove any dumpster lumber nailed into your house, and show you what right looks like. Everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt, once. Maybe the framer left his eyeglasses on his kitchen counter on the way out the door that day. Maybe they have a betting pool going to see who can leave each day with the most shoddy work. Would be fun to find out, so long as it's not my money on the table!

Do you mean finished sqft, or?
Ahh, I really just mean that whatever you're paying is too much for that kind of attention to detail.

wow. Bet those guys got the boot.

@DavidR8 I'm not sure. I did see an inspector sheet when I was looking around this weekend and everything so far has passed.

I am a contractor/builder, I'll echo what everyone is saying. That is very shoddy work and should be corrected. Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me though...

I'm building a house, not me but a builder and noticed these gaps between the fascia board and overhang. They are in both the front and back of the house. The center of the house has a slightly raised roof so the trusses must be different. I think the they came a little to short from the manufacturer. I complained to my realtor who communicates with the builder. Thinking maybe this is normal? It looks shotty to me. What say you?
View attachment 334208
View attachment 334209
View attachment 334210
View attachment 334211

Yeah I’d complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back