Another 9" Barn Find

Is the dark area on the ways something that is on the metal or is it a stain that is "in" the metal? It looks like there is a scratch in it which would mean it is on the metal.
Can you scrape it off with a razor blade?
Guessing you have already tried acetone and MEK?

Is the dark area on the ways something that is on the metal or is it a stain that is "in" the metal? It looks like there is a scratch in it which would mean it is on the metal.
Can you scrape it off with a razor blade?
Guessing you have already tried acetone and MEK?
Its on top. And coincidentaly, i did just try a blade for about 20 minutes with some limited success. Although it will be painstaking to get it to bare metal. A little at a time i guess. I had tried the blade before, its just the amount of time it will take to do correctly. I've tried just about anything i could get my hands on, chemically. Zylene, MEK, Acetone, Goof-Off, Acid. I dont believe these are hardened so trying to be as careful as possible, not to gouge.

Attachments

• 20230813_115736.jpg
    20230813_115736.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Its on top. And coincidentaly, i did just try a blade for about 20 minutes with some limited success. Although it will be painstaking to get it to bare metal. A little at a time i guess. I had tried the blade before, its just the amount of time it will take to do coreclty. I've tried just about anything i could get my hands on, chemically. Zylene, MEK, Acetone, Goof-Off, Acid. I dont believe these are hardened so trying to be as careful as possible, not to gouge.

Try Kerosene. That works well for some things.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Appears to be rust pits on my phone. Fine Arkansas stone with light oil would tell more. If so they will make good oil reservoirs. Cover area with marker. Stone. Will show high or low spots

kerosene, diesel, WD-40, ATF, any of the lighter petroleum products should de-solve any of the hydrocarbon compounds. Brake cleaner, or carb cleaners are usually some combination of these things.
Try unusual things like brake fluid. I once had a fancy pair of boots that lost the finish to a splash of brake fluid. It took a lot of experimenting to find out exactly what caused the problem. I did find a leaking master cylinder seal though...
Also try strong soaps especially those listed for de-greasing. I think that Goof-Off has orange oil in it, but you might try others. of similar makeup

Appears to be rust pits on my phone. Fine Arkansas stone with light oil would tell more. If so they will make good oil reservoirs. Cover area with marker. Stone. Will show high or low spots
Fortunately, it appears to be on top of the way surface, from what I can tell, so far. Will not be able to fully say for sure until I've cleared more of what is on the surface though.
Yep, familiar with using dykem and leveling. I do have a variety of stones and machining compounds when ready for it.
And to your point, any potential nominal pits, shouldn't effect proper funtionality and enhance oil retention.
I was hoping for a faster solution, but believe blade scraping and trying a few other suggested chemicals until I get closer to level is what I will be doing right now.
Appreciate all the feedback and suggestions!

I was going to suggest blade scraping too, then fine wire wool with kerosene.

Looking for a decent used sandblast cabinet. Found a "barrel blaster" but appears to have sold. Hoping to get something other than the HF cabinet. A 55gal drum may fit the legs and certainly all the other loose parts.

A little more progress. Removed the apron to try and fix the lockout pin for the halfnut lever. Was not too hard, but the pin was badly gummed and took some time to free up. I'm going to clean everything really well and then decide if i want to teartdown and rebuild, refelt the apron. So far, by the looks of the half nuts and gears, doesnt look worn barely at all. Pretty gunked up though.
Also i did finally pick up a blast cabinet and some glass bead. 20231028_101325.jpg20231028_101347.jpg20231028_101340.jpg20231028_101421.jpg

Back