Another 9" Barn Find

Re-felting it while you have it apart would be a good idea if you have the felt kit for it. Mine had a bit of crud in the well, and the felts were pretty dirty and kind of hard. It was not difficult to re-felt.

I would agree, that's an awful lot of gunge and you've done most of the hard work already

Yes, there is a lot of hard grease. I keep hoping to have put less work into this, but I know the felt is useless for conveying lubricant at this point and I'm only a few simple steps away from replacing it and cleaning all the apron components.

Yep, that clutch had a bunch packed in behind it and thought the felt had disintegrated. Its there, just gunked up bad. Pulled out easily enough though. If im lucky, i'll have it torn down and ready for cleaning, taping, and bead blast shortly. Ordered some rubber stoppers to plug the holes that will not be taped. Not going bead blast the back, just the front. A good cleaning is all the back needs.
20231029_123805.jpg20231029_133942.jpg20231029_134000.jpg

Last edited:
I finished tearing down the taper attachment components for bead blast and started thinking about paint.
What type of paint recommendation would you guys have? I've used alkyd enamels for a lot of various industrial applications, on new material. I've also used two part epoxies. The epoxy tends to end up a bit thicker and definitely a little more work to clean up.
I like the haze gray and machine finishes. What is greenish tinted paint called or ral# ? That would be an option as well.

rubber stoppers and blue painters tape are what I use. I put on a bigger piece of tape than I need and then trim to the edges with a sharp box cutter or craft knife. Takes a while but post painting clean up is a breeze

Does the painters tape hold up for abrasive bead blast? I was going to use black gorilla duct tape, but if the painters tape holds up, it will make it a lot easier.
Just finished scrubbing the apron casting with decreaser. That dried grease is pretty tough to get off. Just about ready to spray it with brake cleaner and clean out the oil passages. And then on to the gears and other components. This year did not have slots milled in shafts to accept felt, but everything seemed pretty good and minimal wear. I could mill the slot in and probably should. I'm not one to pass up an easy upgrade.

I seem to be on a roll with this thing now. Was able to use the parts cleaning table at work and made this so much eaisier than my ghetto home parts washing bucket. After cleaning and drying, i sprayed everything with WD40 to eliminate flash rust on the bare, machined surfaces.
I cleaned all the apron gears, the apron casting, handles, ect. I also cleaned some parts for the taper attachment as well. So glad i broke the apron down. The amount of gunk in the oil passages was incredible. Luckily i had a small paint sprayer cleaning brush and was able to ream them out. No way oil was going to lubricate the parts without having done this. I wasn't planning on doing the gearbox, but i may end up doing that now as well.
I'm going to wait to bead blast until i have a paint plan and have as many parts ready to paint as possible.

20231102_164029.jpg20231102_164025.jpg20231102_184103.jpg

I couldn't tell you about the durability of masking tape and abrasive blasting as I've never used it. Masking was always my last step after wire wheeling or electrolysis before painting

I'm glad you were able to break everything down though, it would only nag you later and now you can see why we recommend it :)

Back