Another 9" Barn Find

Does the painters tape hold up for abrasive bead blast? I was going to use black gorilla duct tape, but if the painters tape holds up, it will make it a lot easier.

I have had good success with black electrical tape for masking when etching glass with sand blasting.
I think the extra thickness/rubberiness helps.
It does need an oil-free surface to stick to.

I have never tried painters tape.

Brian

I seem to be on a roll with this thing now. Was able to use the parts cleaning table at work and made this so much eaisier than my ghetto home parts washing bucket. After cleaning and drying, i sprayed everything with WD40 to eliminate flash rust on the bare, machined surfaces.
I cleaned all the apron gears, the apron casting, handles, ect. I also cleaned some parts for the taper attachment as well. So glad i broke the apron down. The amount of gunk in the oil passages was incredible. Luckily i had a small paint sprayer cleaning brush and was able to ream them out. No way oil was going to lubricate the parts without having done this. I wasn't planning on doing the gearbox, but i may end up doing that now as well.
I'm going to wait to bead blast until i have a paint plan and have as many parts ready to paint as possible.

View attachment 464956View attachment 464957View attachment 464955
I drilled my quick change gear box out to the other side of the top passage. glad I did. It was gunked up and I was worried. I just put a plug in the other end. I used an aircraft drill bit to get to the other side.

Although dirty the gearbox looks to be in good condition. Looking forward to be fully torn down, cleaned up, and ready for beadblast soon.
Impact scredriver was critical in making disassembly easy. Have an idea for extending the blast cabinet to be able blast the cast legs and bed casting. I will need to decide on using the old floor mounted jackshaft and motor assembly or buying a used bench style jackshaft. The used parts out there have gotten little salty though.
20231103_182143.jpg20231103_182052.jpg20231103_182105.jpg

I'm glad you were able to break everything down though, it would only nag you later and now you can see why we recommend it :)
Yes, my other lathes were not near as bad. This thing sat for a good long time.
I drilled my quick change gear box out to the other side of the top passage. glad I did. It was gunked up and I was worried. I just put a plug in the other end. I used an aircraft drill bit to get to the other side.
Yes, I saw that drill and plug mod somewhere else as well. Maybe the book I have. Hopefully be able tear the gear box down tomorrow.

Having a time trying to get the taper pin out of the split gears and shaft. It looks like what would be the small end had been peened. And the taper pin on the outboar gear collar and shaft is not budging. Odd because the other tape pins have come out fairly easy. Guess I will try to file the peened side of the split gears taper. Only thing i can think of for the other is carefully drill the collar taper pin. 20231106_155733.jpg20231106_155713.jpg20231106_155657.jpg

Yup, file them flush on both sides so you can see which way they go.
Been there, done that....

I filed one of them flush to have nothing happen. Tapped from both sides and absolutely no movement. You can barely make a edge on the pine following filing and tapping with a hammer. Crazy all thebpins moved without much issue.
I have the correct sides identifies with a digital caliper. The split gear set is approximately .19" to .175" and the other is .155" to .137". The punch marks youncan see in photo are .075" in diameter for reference. The pins are not budging. I may try a little heat, but if they won't move, at that point, I'm going to drill them out with .125" and .1595" bits to hopefully keep the original hole intact and just replace the taper pins. Worst case I'll end up using stainless roll pins. Make it easier to work on if the need arises again.
20231109_164348.jpg20231109_164434.jpg

Dang, that thing is stuck! Hopefully some heat will do the trick.
It is sure frustrating when things don't co-operate.
Had a stuck indicator dial on my mills knee crank. Thought I would never get it off. Weeks of soaking with different concoctions. Heat, lots of heat and prying finally got it loose with just a little marring on the back edge where I had to pry on it.
Patience is a virtue, or so I am told...

I had a couple of stuck taper pins on my old heavy 9, didn't matter what I did to them. Ended up drilling them out. The ones that were holding handles on I drilled and tapped for a set screw

Dang, that thing is stuck! Hopefully some heat will do the trick.
It is sure frustrating when things don't co-operate.
Had a stuck indicator dial on my mills knee crank. Thought I would never get it off. Weeks of soaking with different concoctions. Heat, lots of heat and prying finally got it loose with just a little marring on the back edge where I had to pry on it.
Patience is a virtue, or so I am told...
Absolute truth in working with old machines! But, i am in no rush. I have other things to work on while the situation developes. Still need to pull and clean the headstock, clean the leadscrew, and finish cleaning the bed. Trying to keep pushing on it. I'd like to finish this to be a keeper and sell my Enco 12" and SB 9c to fund a newer or rather more capable or robust lathe. A newer 13/14" perhaps. Wouldn't pass on a 11" or 16" SB in decent shape though.

Back