Another 9" Barn Find

I have a bunch of old literature on SB and have never seen any reference to a "wide 9"; explain please. $400, makes me appreciate the deal I got on my Monarch Jr. 9" lathe, with tooling, on floor legs for $250 (the asking price), it was a little rusty but cleaned up perfectly, nothing on it showed any wear except for the half nut and one broken gear tooth on the cone pulley for back gear, it even had its original overhead countershaft. I made new cast iron steady and follow rests and faceplate and dog plate for it

Last edited by a moderator:
Electrolysis bath will remove the rust. Works great for me.

Wide 9 refers to the earlier beds/ways being slightly wider or further apart than the lathes after 1930 or so. It's not in the literature. Just a term that has been used.
Just like "A". Although it had the same functionality as later "A" models, gearbox, geared lateral and cross feed, Southbend didn't use that terminology at that time either. There is not a lot of literature on Southbends prior to the 30's
Workshop models. Luckily when i initially posted about that lathe, another forum member sent me some literature they had.
Sounds like you lucked out. Although we are in the Southbend forum, not Monarch

@lordbeezer I have seen and read about it, but have not tried it. I usually use stainless steel wool or fine scotch bright. Which admittedly takes a lot more work and can't possibly reach some places the electrolysis does.
I really don't like the idea of removing and trying to reseat the headstock correctly. I haven't done it and may be making more about than it is though.

Many of us use the "New Posts" function. This allows us to read every new post made, without regard to the specific subforum. This sometimes leads to a bit of miscommunication when information is left out of a post because it is defined by the subforum. I suspect the OP thinks John purposely left the Monarch sub-group and wandered into the South Bend sub-group to troll. That is not the case.

Wide 9 refers to the earlier beds/ways being slightly wider or further apart than the lathes after 1930 or so. It's not in the literature. Just a term that has been used.
Just like "A". Although it had the same functionality as later "A" models, gearbox, geared lateral and cross feed, Southbend didn't use that terminology at that time either. There is not a lot of literature on Southbends prior to the 30's
Workshop models. Luckily when i initially posted about that lathe, another forum member sent me some literature they had.
Sounds like you lucked out. Although we are in the Southbend forum, not Monarch
Not sure why you are being negative or trying to troll???

@lordbeezer

I have seen and read about it, but have not tried it. I usually use stainless steel wool or fine scotch bright. Which admittedly takes a lot more work and can't possibly reach some places the electrolysis does.
I really don't like the idea of removing and trying to reseat the headstock correctly. I haven't done it and may be making more about than it is though.
you need to remove the headstock, it's not an option. it's easy to remove on the SB lathes.
the Headstock rides on a V way. There are 2 bolts underneath and that's it.

Yes, the pre-1930 SB 9 and 10 inch lathes used the same bed, carriage and apron, but with different headstocks, tailstocks and probably cross slide/ compound. That makes the 1928 9" lathe bed about an inch wider than the 9" workshop lathes that came out just after.

I thought the comment about buying a monarch in better condition for less money came across as a bit snarky and unnecessary too. Maybe not intended that way, but you have to be careful how you express something online as it can easily be misinterpreted.

Congratulations on your find! It will definitely keep you busy for a while, and learning, theres nothing better than bringing an old machine back to life. I am certain that they have souls.

If I misinterpreted his comments, I apologize. It is hard to read intent on forums
I never said the lathe was a diamond in rough or some fantastic deal. But, around here these just aren't found like they used to be. I would rather resurrect something than part it. Its about the utility and usefulness of the machine to me.

These guys here for the most part are pretty nice.
But lets face it, we all make mistakes, either in writing or in reading.

I have many times not liked what I wrote the first time. I intended on saying one thing, but when I read it even I went... NOOOOO that's not how I meant it. Especially when trying to be expedient in replying, or lazy. If someone is gunning you'll know it. Otherwise assume it was not intentional...

very nice barn find! Please post pictures of your progress - many members are afraid to buy a rusty lathe, and don't know what potential lies underneath the surface.

M<y friend bought a Clausinmg 2500 Tool and Die lathe that was out in the rain for over 2 years. After a large rebuild he has a spectacular lathe!

Back