2016 POTD Thread Archive

I had one tell me that I had do something with my care, It was in my driveway, fully registered, and everything. We had 3 cars and 2 drivers. They also gave me a ticket for having a tire on the grass where I missed by driveway.

Oh dear! It seems to me you have more to worry about than thieves.
I think we need that special net the army uses to cover equipment from satellite view! He he he

Bruce, a picture with your neighbour in uniform would be better than a dog!

petros

Oh dear! It seems to me you have more to worry about than thieves.
I think we need that special net the army uses to cover equipment from satellite view! He he he

Bruce, a picture with your neighbour in uniform would be better than a dog!

petros
I don't think his local government needs Google to find out what's in his driveway.

Bruce, did you build that gatling from kit plans? If so, which do you recommend? I could see myself attempting such a project. I love shooting rimfire.

Meanwhile, all my gumption has seemed to abandon me with the arrival of hot summer weather. Inertia is a *****. I haven't started a new project in several weeks.

I piddled on a client project to make a mount for a small monitor that wiil go on the rotating photo rig. The monitor has no mouting holes on the back, so I toyed with the idea of making a clamp style, similar to those made for iPads and such. Trouble it, anything I could think of would require hours of machining time. The monitor they got only cost $140. I'm not sure they are up for a clamp that will cost 4x the monitor price.

Finally, I figured out to just glue some t-nuts to the back of the monitor for purchase of a simple square plate, which will attach to a Canfield "Magic Arm."

I sawed a 3.5" square from some 1/8" mystery aluminum and marked it up for drilling mounting holes. Work had to take place in my non-climate improved woodshop. I can turn on the window AC in the metal shop to finish the holes tomorrow.

Bruce, did you build that gatling from kit plans? If so, which do you recommend? I could see myself attempting such a project. I love shooting rimfire.

Meanwhile, all my gumption has seemed to abandon me with the arrival of hot summer weather. Inertia is a *****. I haven't started a new project in several weeks.

I piddled on a client project to make a mount for a small monitor that wiil go on the rotating photo rig. The monitor has no mouting holes on the back, so I toyed with the idea of making a clamp style, similar to those made for iPads and such. Trouble it, anything I could think of would require hours of machining time. The monitor they got only cost $140. I'm not sure they are up for a clamp that will cost 4x the monitor price.

Finally, I figured out to just glue some t-nuts to the back of the monitor for purchase of a simple square plate, which will attach to a Canfield "Magic Arm."

I sawed a 3.5" square from some 1/8" mystery aluminum and marked it up for drilling mounting holes. Work had to take place in my non-climate improved woodshop. I can turn on the window AC in the metal shop to finish the holes tomorrow.
Hi Franko,

It's built from plans from RG&G, web site www.gatlingguns.net. There are also plans out there from D&E Engineering; I have both but chose to build the RG&G version. Let me know if you take on the project, there are many drawing errors. Also, lots of mods guys have done to make them work. It's really not a difficult project, however, sure wish my mill had DRO at the time of the build. I cheated a bit on the barrels and used Ruger 10-22 barrels instead of tubing and a barrel sleeve per the plans. I still stink at silver soldering, there's a fair amount of it to do with either design.

The D&E design is for .22 shorts only, RG&G fires shorts, longs or long rifles. The D&E design has the firing pins on center in the bolts, not on the rim. Those would have to move for a functional gun. Lots of comments out there about both designs. The D&E makes a nicer looking gun, but I don't believe anyone has gotten one to fire. RG&G is the one to build for a functional gun.

Bruce

Hi Harry,

Certainly hope so. Plan "B" is below . . . only .22 caliber, but at a firing rate of 7 rounds a second (depending on crank speed), it's a nice deterrent! Of course, hope to never find out!

Bruce

View attachment 131434

That is something I wish I had the machines and money to make. Have always wanted one.

That is something I wish I had the machines and money to make. Have always wanted one.

On this side of the globe it is illegal even to talk about guns!
Even air riffles can get you into trouble with the law.

On the one hand people consider normal to live in a society without (legal) guns.
That does not make our society less violent and crime free though!
"Proper" criminals that have a gun just add another crime on the top of all the rest they commit. It gives them 10 more years in prison!
On the other hand, as army service is compulsory for every male, all of us have got proper training for at least a year in using guns!!
So everyone knows how to use it but they can't have it.

Crazy world isn't it?

Petros

I have been looking for an aircraft positioner for nearly a year now, but I had a specific one I was looking for. A M-K Products Model 3. They have a new line called the Cobra line but the cost is way up there. The older Models, 1, 2 and 3 have been around for a long, long time and are out there if you're patient. I saw a Model 3 about six months ago but the guy was out of his gourd on what he wanted for it as well as it being in quite poor condition.

Well patience paid off, I found a very nice and clean Model 3 on eBay two weeks ago and made the guy an offer in which he countered me with a reasonable request. Upon it arriving I discovered that it really was a clean and in good condition as he said it was, like nearly new condition with only a couple deficiencies that I could see.

Here is my new to me M-K Products Model 3 weld positioner.
nwhcmc.jpg

The grounding cable ends were in bad shape so I cut them off, crimped on new lugs and applied some heat shrink.
b5jlfs.jpg

24ymdj5.jpg

Ends completed.
ic5lwh.jpg

And installed, along with a new fitting for the purge line.
2z66oau.jpg

I got the unit all cleaned up, tested out and ready for hopefully years of use.

I did have to purchase a chuck for the turntable though, so I just picked up an inexpensive 6" 3-jaw import scroll chuck. Now I just have to fabricate an adapter plate to mount the chuck to the 10" turntable on the positioner.

Mike.

Friday night I tore my new to me 2010 HD Ultra CVO apart to replace all of the fluids as well as remove the OEM automatic primary chain tensioner and replace it with the Baker Attitude manual adjuster.

Outer primary cover removed after removing floorboards and draining fluids.
15n7rzr.jpg

Tension released and compressed the OEM adjuster and zip-tied for removal.
5cnjiq.jpg

Baker Attitude manual adjuster ready for installation.
nqpc9h.jpg

Removal of the primary sprockets/chain is necessary to install the Baker adjuster. It is quite simple, just make sure to get the fasteners torqued properly and also remember that the clutch hub bolt is left hand thread. Here I am setting the chain tension to the specified 5/8"-7/8".
14t4p35.jpg

My fluids of choice. Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 for the engine, H-D Formula + for the primary and Spectro 6 for the transmission.
x6jx2o.jpg

Test ride completed, shop cleaned up and ready for a Saturday afternoon ride with the wife and son.
334keur.jpg

Mike.

And how is a year of military service better firearms training than an afternoon concealed carry permit class here? ;)

On a more serious note, I am 100% in favor of responsible gun ownership. I am also 100% opposed to the usual mantra/rhetoric that everyone should run out and get a gun or four right now. More guns in the hands of poorly trained or untrained civilians will cause far more problems than it could possibly solve.

Please, everyone who is passionate about gun ownership and who likes to encourage others to own and carry firearms, please stress safety and training at least as much as you do ownership.

Statistically a firearm is FAR more likely to be used in an accident or a suicide than in defense, but there's no reason that statistic has to remain true, and it would be foolish to wait for government intervention to make that happen. Preach and practice safety over straight ownership and rights to do what you can to turn it around voluntarily. The change will not happen without a change in the messaging and attitudes first (just like anything else).

Back