2016 POTD Thread Archive

Hypothetically that's great that some mystery person hooked you up with that, and could theoretically do it again if anyone else needed it. ;)

Not at all hypothetically. If you dont' make a profit, you're not profiting from the reproduction, not violating a copyright.

Sorry, my free email won't let me upload it. Too bad that somebody named Jon isn't around.

Oh wait, he is.

Mia Culpa

If the work has no commercial value, the violation is mostly technical and is unlikely to result in legal action. Fair use determinations (see below) do sometimes depend on the involvement of money.

My dad suffered a stroke 2 1/2 years ago that took away a lot of his right hand/foot mobility. He loves to come out to our place and deer/turkey hunt, but had trouble seeing out of the blind. Not to totally throw him under the wheels of the bus, he's a tough old Marine and can be as stubborn as the day is long. The problem is he's dead set on sitting in an office chair in the blind. But it doesn't go high enough for him to see out the windows. MSC sells a chair that would be perfect (item# KU88507785) but it's sale priced at $179 plus shipping, plus $6 more for casters. It doesn't have armrests like dad's current chair so I figured a morning in the shop was in order.

I didn't take any pictures of the riser itself, just the finished chair. The riser was made from a couple of 3/8" thick aluminum plates on hand with 1"x 5 1/2" aluminum rounds cut/faced/tapped to go between the plates. Top plate has clearance holes to screw to the existing nuts in the seat bottom. Bottom plate was drilled/tapped for bolting to the base.

I figured he'd need a foot stool also. The chair pedestal base was 1.510", so I bored a hole on the lathe in a 4-jaw to 1.515". Centered the block using a wiggler in the tail stock with an indicator on the wiggler. I see a couple of new 4-jaw chuck keys in my future. The ones supplied with the lathe are a little too big to use the two-key method of centering up a 4-jaw.

A couple of aluminum plates were bolted to the swivel block and a wooden step on top of the side brackets for the foot rest. Should work great for him.

Next step will be running a bar across the top front wall of the blind for a cord to tie the butt of his shotgun or cross bow at window height. He struggles stabilizing the firearm, hope to engineer him a decent rest so he can get a deer this fall.

Bruce

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 5.jpg photo 6.jpg photo 7.jpg

Next step will be running a bar across the top front wall of the blind for a cord to tie the butt of his shotgun or cross bow at window height. He struggles stabilizing the firearm, hope to engineer him a decent rest so he can get a deer this fall.

How about a clip on folding bipod?

bipod.jpeg

Mark Thanks, I just wen and looked around Prices are not bad.
I call Bernie with my needs. He can get anything you want. He only lists a little on his web site. I need a piece of steel tubing 6" diameter and 1 1/2" wall thickness and only need 1 1/2" long. It is for a project I am re doing to improve. I couldn't find it anywhere. Bernie found it for me and sent it right out. $38 delivered . I don't even search anymore.... I call Bernie.

Back