2016 POTD Thread Archive

I made a c-clamp wall holder in the shop. Bought a 36" SS grab rail like what you find in hotels and homes. The back side of the wall is open at the moment so I glued in some reinforcements for the screws. Other than the speedy clamps, the regular ones can go in from the back or hang off the front.
Pierre
View attachment 131503

That picture will give a OCD person a heart attack.

Jon, you and your brothers are doing an awesome job! Your mother must be so happy and proud to see her boys working together with a beautiful outcome. Kudos to your little helper too.

Thanks! It has been very rewarding.

That's my youngest in the photo with my brother. That brother and I haven't always gotten along very well, but between the shop he built and I helped finish, starting with the drywall (the first we'd spent time together in years), and now this project for our mother, we are better than ever before. Nothing like hard work to help you forget the stupid stuff.

Most of my professional work has been as a photographer. I ended up in construction after a series of business choices first went very well and then suddenly very bad (lost my biggest client (2/3 of my revenue) when the quality of my work helped him grow his business to the point of hiring a dedicated photographer, and I couldn't move to Alaska to be it), and my wife was gravely ill in her pregnancy and I took care of her instead of my remaining clients and lost almost all of my work. Anyway, I've learned a ton since then and I really have enjoyed it. Now I'm back in photography (doing work like you see in my profile pic), so it's embarrassing to only have my mother's cell phone shots of this project, but I kind of had my hands full. :)

Oh, the point was that it has been particularly good for my mother to see us working well together since we didn't for quite a while.

Also that's the brother that got all the machines when my father downsized. And in the past year he has given me the surface grinder, loaned the lathe to me indefinitely, and now I'm finishing a couple projects to make room for the mill. :)

Yeah. My wife surprised with it this past Christmas.

Nice surprise. I'm trying to talk myself into getting one. In the time being, I have a propane gas Master Built which does a fairly respectable job. I cook for one, so don't make large cuts. So far, I've smoked a rump roast, several batches of chicken breasts and a pork loin. I cook them in batches so I can portion them out for several days worth of meals.

Do those kettles 'wet' smoke with steam?

Back