2009 mini cooper clubman, timing chain and valve seals

Getting there:

IMG_3357.jpeg

IMG_3358.jpeg

Next is a bunch of stiff behind/under the intake manifold. I’m in no rush to lay on my back and snake my arms up though the chassis to only be able to work with fingertips.

But, on the upside, I’m only about a days worth or work away from first startup…,

Looking at the shock tower on you mini, they look identical to peugeot, now i'm questioning can i bolt up a good peugeot TU engine in that chassis without changes it will be a good swap. I may start looking for a mini with a blown engine.

Looking at the shock tower on you mini, they look identical to peugeot, now i'm questioning can i bolt up a good peugeot TU engine in that chassis without changes it will be a good swap. I may start looking for a mini with a blown engine.
Good luck getting the engine management system to work.

This thing is so fussy, you can have trouble getting the same year parts to work right.

You can swap in a peugeot Prince engine in it though. I think from a 207/308?

They’re essentially the same from my understanding. You just have to use all the chassis electronics on the peugeot lump.

I wouldn’t do it, but you’re welcome to try. Your money….

If the engine management is Bosch, i'm not worried, i've got friends that can reprogram them in whatever i want. My biggest concern is what will i do with it when i'm finished, i don't have space to store any more cars. If one comes by extremely cheap i may buy it to get familiar with that platform.

Well, it runs.

IMG_3360.jpeg

Quick whiff of oil smoke on startup (assembly oil in the bores burning off) and then clear until it started venting off some condensation (white smoke on revs).

Little bit of smoke from the engine bay as stray lubricant and some fresh paint flashed off.

Little bit of a "hunt" on the idle (figure fuel and oil pressure was still stabilizing) when first started and then settled into a quite and steady idle.

Gave it a quick blip on the throttle to see if the misfires are gone. Hit the rpm range where it would misfire and nothing seen. It's not run in yet so it was only a very quick blip. But it would mark misfire previously even with a blip.

Have an ECT sensor code, but I still have to bleed the coolant. Connector is connected at the ect sensor.

Overall: looks hopeful.

Time to put the front end back together and install the flares and wheel well shields.

Then it's time to run it through a heat cycle at around 2K rpm and see what I get for codes.

Then, out for a short drive around the neighborhood.

I may ir may not have a cooling fan problem. I can command the test through the scan tool and the fan runs, but the temp got to 220f with no fan so I shut it down. A mini mechanic I’ve been talking too says the fan doesn’t come on until 228F (!) so I’ll have to run it to 230F and see if it comes on.
I’m used to lower coolant temps, but these days they run engines hot for emissions, so we’ll see what we see…

If the engine management is Bosch, i'm not worried, i've got friends that can reprogram them in whatever i want. My biggest concern is what will i do with it when i'm finished, i don't have space to store any more cars. If one comes by extremely cheap i may buy it to get familiar with that platform.
Your money. Fill your boots….

Coolant fan works. I had to get it to a frightening 112c, but it kicked on and pulled the temps down.
so now its a few more stationary heat cycles followed by a few light drives around the neighborhood.

Then drop the oil, refill and wait for 500 miles to drop the oil again….then its done….finally!

Coolant fan works. I had to get it to a frightening 112c, but it kicked on and pulled the temps down.
so now its a few more stationary heat cycles followed by a few light drives around the neighborhood.

Then drop the oil, refill and wait for 500 miles to drop the oil again….then its done….finally!

CONGRATULATION, FINE JOB!!!

For the luva…..

Mini is almost done and the wife pulls in and says the CEL is on in her mini van.

#2 cyl misfire.

I swear I just get one thing fixed for that woman and she comes back with something else broken. She just doesn’t get along well with machines. I just can’t get ahead, here. It like I’m never going to get to do what I want ever again! I seem to be lurching from one repair around the house to another. If our stuff was “old”, I’d understand. But most of our big stuff is 5-years old or less.

So she’s got my truck at work today and I’m home with two broken vehicles and the ‘vette on an “antique” plate.

She better not come back with my truck broken or we’re taking some serious “marital compensation”…..:cool:

Last edited:
Back