2009 mini cooper clubman, timing chain and valve seals

Choose your projects, don't let them choose you....

Hahahahahaha... I can see how that would go with the wife.... LOL...

"Honey, I am choosing my projects and yours is not on my list." :D

So, the van has a total of 189,000 kms on it. We “supposedly” had the sparks changed at 140,000 (roughly 90k miles). They were the platinum champions (what comes oem) so that was actually under the oem change interval (100k).

I had requested Denso or NGK plugs as I’ve never had good luck with champions.

So I get the intake off and pull out the #2 plug:

IMG_3365.jpeg

top is the old plug, bottom the new denso’s.

So does that look like a denso/ngk iridium with roughly 40,000 kms on it?

Here‘s the kicker: the plugs I pulled out of the engine are champions! The shop that “supposedly” changed them said they put Denso’s in it!

I don’t effing think so!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

If I could find my receipt, I’d be giving that shop a little more than a piece of my mind! They charged me $150 for new plugs plus labor to change them!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

But, the receipt has gone missing so its my word against theirs. I know I’m never going to have anything done there ever again…..

Last edited:
Every time my wife drove my 1965 SUNBEAM ALPINE she ended up calling to say "It won't start"! I would go get her and it would start right up for me. I ended up taking her key away. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Unfortunately that is very common, the shops see if the person isn't very observant even if they are they blame each other in the shop and parts don't get changed. Your engine is burning right. Here are the spark plugs from my brother's skoda they are white as a ghost, the LPG shop mess up the tune is very lean.IMG_20230721_173303.jpg

That shop must keep records, ask them to pull their copy.

Call the state consumer affairs office, this is why they exist.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Cleaned up and ready for the wife to go wreck it again:

IMG_3408.jpeg

IMG_3407.jpeg

Def looks like the oil burning problem has been cleared up. Scrubbed the chrome exhaust tip yesterday and have been driving it a bit. Before the rebuild, the tip would be greasy black and sooty by now. Not a lick or hint of soot on it….:)

congrats on the fixing of one of your cars!

As for the plugs, that's a sneaky deal. Still, they look better than the ones I pulled out of the Fungus, after 170,000miles there was no tip left on them at all. Amazingly it still ran fine, though fuel economy ticked up after the change.

congrats on the fixing of one of your cars!

As for the plugs, that's a sneaky deal. Still, they look better than the ones I pulled out of the Fungus, after 170,000miles there was no tip left on them at all. Amazingly it still ran fine, though fuel economy ticked up after the change.
They’re both running fine.

I’m little lost now though. The wife’s cars have been a project for so ling now, I’m kinda searching for things to do!

Maybe I’ll get back to building the FEL for my garden tractor….

Back