2009 mini cooper clubman, timing chain and valve seals

Too bad I didn’t know BMW slipped a Peugeot engine into their Mini line. Probably still would have bought one as the wife has always wanted a mini, but she’s pretty turned off on them now after seeing the money and misery its costing us.

Its a shame really. Its such a fun car to drive. Too bad its made out of sugar and sand….
Don't feel down about it, with all the work done it will be better then new, and with regular oil changes you'll don't need to worry about it. They are fun cars, you'll enjoy it for years to come.

Pistons back in:

IMG_3287.jpeg

End gaps were checked before installing. Not quite at the specs for “new”, but well under the max worn numbers.

I’d like to say it was easy, but nothing seems to be easy on this thing. Been building engines. For the better part of 30 years and in all that time, this is the only one where I’ve had a ring break while installing. Seems the ring compressor band must have not have been as tight as it should of been and the step on the second ring caught an edge while going in. Snapped a section off the outside of the ring. Much cursing ensued.

Grabbed one of the rikken sets and measured up a second ring. Same dimensions, same construction. Checked the ring gap and its also good, if not a little better than the sm rings. So the #4 piston has a top ring and oil control ring thats SM and the #2 ring is Rikken.

Not ideal , but acceptable. The alternative was another month or two waiting for parts and even more expenses.

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear the good news that is running, how are you going to clean the carbon from the exhaust header.

Oil pump and windage tray installed.

Taking my time, no rush.

there's a recall out on the car about the footwell module possibly catching fire (!) and they currently don't have a fix.

fr_4343.jpg

Wife refuses to drive it before recall is done so sitting in the garage with the battery disconnected isn't a big deal right now....this car is a nightmare!If it wasn't so fun to drive and kind of unique, I woudl have gotten rid of it long before getting this deep into it....

Last edited:
Back