2009 mini cooper clubman, timing chain and valve seals

just an opinion, but it doesn't look like you moved the hone back and forth fast enough. I don't see the pattern I would like to see. Maybe I'm wrong, it's just the pic, but I would like to see the the hatching crossing those more pronounced,

just an opinion, but it doesn't look like you moved the hone back and forth fast enough. I don't see the pattern I would like to see. Maybe I'm wrong, it's just the pic, but I would like to see the the hatching crossing those more pronounced,
Its the pic. I’ve been doing this type of thing for the better part of two to three decades…

Last edited:
The cross hatching looks good to me, the top of the cylinders clean up well. I'll suggest first oil change at 500 miles to get all that loose metal out, that is what i do. Check the freeze plugs in the cylinder head, if you've not clean it jet weld it up or if you have enough material thread it and put a plug in it.

Not questioning your workmanship, but are you confident the brake cleen and wipes got most of the honing grit out? I was taught that scrubbing with hot water and soap was the way to do it? Which has led to some funny looking stains in my bathtub.
Honing looks good to me. What grit did you use?

Rings and oil pump drive finally showed up.

This weekend will be verifying the ring gaps are good and then reassembly will begin.

About time too. This thing is starting to feel like furniture in the garage. I want my space back!

Last edited:
Man, European cars are a pain! I knew this when we bought the mini for the wife, but this thing is an extra painful PITB!

Despite a fully stocked tool box, I still had to go buy a set of e-torx sockets to remove the rod bolts (and assorted others).

I went today to install the new rod bolts ( TTY) and come to find they’re a (very weird) 9 mm 12 point!

Jebus crisp!

Luckily, I found one 9 mm 12pt on the shelf at our local Carquest after running all over town on a sat afternoon.

I’ve had to buy so many special and odd tools to work on this thing I’m going to have enough to fill a second roll around….effing European junk!

Doesn’t help that its crazy hot here either. Its not stupid hot like in the southern US, but the humidity is crazy high which makes 30c feel more like 40c. You can’t even drive our Corvette drop top without sweating your butt off!

Luckily, I have a large roll around ac unit that I can put in the garage so its at least bearable in there. The ac init is usually upstairs in our loft, where it gets crazy hot on a regular summer. You can’t even get to the top of the steps now without wanting to nearly faint! The rest of the house is on heat pumps, so its nice and cool for the dogs and sleeping. I may have to look at putting another one in the garage if this is how summer weather is going to be from now on.

But step out the door and it feels like you just walked through a spider web.

Biggest challenge in the garage is (again) the humidity. I’ve had to empty the AC unit water bucket 3 times already! You can actually see the humidity hanging in the air outside. Fortunately, the garage is well insulated (for winter heat) so it holds the coolness fairly well.

Climate change is a hoax? Yeah, riiiight…..thank jebus our house is only a couple years old so its well insulated and efficient at both heating and cooling. I don’t know how people in 50-100 year old homes can stand it right now…

Last edited:
Man, European cars are a pain! I knew this when we bought the mini for the wife, but this thing is an extra painful PITB!

Despite a fully stocked tool box, I still had to go buy a set of e-torx sockets to remove the rod bolts (and assorted others).

I went today to install the new rod bolts ( TTY) and come to find they’re a (very weird) 9 mm 12 point!

Jebus crisp!

Luckily, I found one 9 mm 12pt on the shelf at our local Carquest after running all over town on a sat afternoon.

I’ve had to buy so many special and odd tools to work on this thing I’m going to have enough to fill a second roll around….effing European junk!
Imagen how is it to me. I deal with french cars all day for fun, they have even weirder fasteners, 9mm 12 point is standard for Volkswagen Group vehicles. On top of that i still teach maths, physics, and computer science in 4 elementary schools in 2 languages and have part time job in sales.

Imagen how is it to me. I deal with french cars all day for fun, they have even weirder fasteners, 9mm 12 point is standard for Volkswagen Group vehicles. On top of that i still teach maths, physics, and computer science in 4 elementary schools in 2 languages and have part time job in sales.
Yep, I remeber being a young buck in a shop and when a volkswagon “anything“ came in for work, we’d all scatter.

No one wanted to work on those abortions. Got so bad the service writers on the front desk just started turning european cars away. The techs just refused to deal with them.

Don’t get me wrong, the Germans make good cars, but they’re a major pain in the butt to work on for a NA tech. Our tools and training just don't prepare you for their weirdness. We can fix them well enough, but you just can’t make any money at it if you’re always ordering another “non-standard” tool from the snap on guy or the quoted hours just aren’t enough time to figure them out.

French cars? You’re lucky if you ever even see a peugeot/citroen on the road, let alone coming into a shop for work. Those little bastards get charged “straight time“ over here. No one goes by the Mitchell manual rates for those disasters….if tou do, you loose money on them. So if its in the shop for 8 hrs, you cahrge 8 hours labor. At $110-150 an hour, that adds up fast. Two 8 hr days and you might as well junk the damned thing!

Too bad I didn’t know BMW slipped a Peugeot engine into their Mini line. Probably still would have bought one as the wife has always wanted a mini, but she’s pretty turned off on them now after seeing the money and misery its costing us.

Its a shame really. Its such a fun car to drive. Too bad its made out of sugar and sand….

Last edited:
Back