2009 mini cooper clubman, timing chain and valve seals

Hmmm, a little digging around seems to indicate that #2 misfires in the pentastar 3.6 can mean a head failure.

Apparently, Chrysler extended the warranty to 10 years and 100,000 miles, but only up to MY 2013. Ours is a 2014, which supposedly has redesigned heads.

Fingers crossed that my problem was just the oil leak at the spark tube and not the head itself.
Same engine I have in my Jeep... those check engine codes have always been a problem on the cars that have them...almost all related to camshaft issues. Fingers crossed is not that.

Same engine I have in my Jeep... those check engine codes have always been a problem on the cars that have them...almost all related to camshaft issues. Fingers crossed is not that.
We’ll see.

seems theres also sometimes issues with the valve adjusters and followers. If the code reoccurs, I’ll look at those first.

I’ll still be po’d if its that though. Cams have to come out to change them….thats a whole lot of grunt work I just don’t want to get into after just rebuilding the mini…

Wife calls me today and the “check engine” light is on she says.

I instantly awitch into aww F!!!! Mode.

My truck is laid up and needs a new front shock (warranty work), the van is still at the body shop and needs a #2 cyl misfire chased down, my mustang is off the road (has been for years) and the corvette has antique plates and can’t be used to drive to work.
5 cars, 2 drivers in the household and they’re all broken!!!! Arrgggghhhh!!!!!

She gets home and when I check, its not actually the check engine light. The mini has a “service“ icon which looks like a car on a lift. Hook up the scanner and the car says the rear brake pads are worn.

They actually have a sensor on it, a brake pad.

WTF?

Stupid BMW. Lets put a sensor in the harshest, most dirty spot on the car. Jebus.

Pads look to have a decent amount of meat left on them from peeking in through the wheel. But the sensor is on the inside pad, which you can’t see. So the inside pad might be at wear limits. It a double piston caliper, but it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen one pad wear out faster than the other, even with a double acting caliper.

One of the rotors has a fairly deep score on it as well. On the outside surface, so its something that has gotten caught (piece of gravel, etc) and marked it.

I’m just going to buy pads and rotors (only about 200 bucks) and change ‘em out this weekend.

Then its start working on the van (body shop said it will be done by cob today) to fix that #2 misfire. the mil was on when we dropped it off but the body shop cleared it and didn’t do a peint out, so I have to wait for it to come on again to confirm I need to change out the rockers (fairly common fault on the pentastar 3.6 engine).

Never rains…it pours….:(

It's not only bmw, many european cars have brake pad wear sensor from the 80's on. And i've seen check engine light set because the handbrake was left up few tooth and set a code for worn brakes

My 2014 Jetta Sportwagen has a sensor, but only on the front left inside brake pad. :confused 3:

Wife calls me today and the “check engine” light is on she says.

I instantly awitch into aww F!!!! Mode.

My truck is laid up and needs a new front shock (warranty work), the van is still at the body shop and needs a #2 cyl misfire chased down, my mustang is off the road (has been for years) and the corvette has antique plates and can’t be used to drive to work.
5 cars, 2 drivers in the household and they’re all broken!!!! Arrgggghhhh!!!!!

She gets home and when I check, its not actually the check engine light. The mini has a “service“ icon which looks like a car on a lift. Hook up the scanner and the car says the rear brake pads are worn.

They actually have a sensor on it, a brake pad.

WTF?

Stupid BMW. Lets put a sensor in the harshest, most dirty spot on the car. Jebus.

Pads look to have a decent amount of meat left on them from peeking in through the wheel. But the sensor is on the inside pad, which you can’t see. So the inside pad might be at wear limits. It a double piston caliper, but it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen one pad wear out faster than the other, even with a double acting caliper.

One of the rotors has a fairly deep score on it as well. On the outside surface, so its something that has gotten caught (piece of gravel, etc) and marked it.

I’m just going to buy pads and rotors (only about 200 bucks) and change ‘em out this weekend.

Then its start working on the van (body shop said it will be done by cob today) to fix that #2 misfire. the mil was on when we dropped it off but the body shop cleared it and didn’t do a peint out, so I have to wait for it to come on again to confirm I need to change out the rockers (fairly common fault on the pentastar 3.6 engine).

Never rains…it pours….:(
If it makes you feel better (but I doubt it)... I have 5-1/2 cars in the garage in a different stage of assembly... so none of them road worthy...

Oh, and Jeep check engine for the misfire... that got fixed with a software update: Performed rapid response 08-071-22 Rev C Update PCM Software

IMG_2865.jpeg

But in you case, also check for oil contamination in the oxygen sensor...

If it makes you feel better (but I doubt it)... I have 5-1/2 cars in the garage in a different stage of assembly... so none of them road worthy...

Oh, and Jeep check engine for the misfire... that got fixed with a software update: Performed rapid response 08-071-22 Rev C Update PCM Software

View attachment 461765

But in you case, also check for oil contamination in the oxygen sensor...
Not a jeep, but still a pentastar 3.6 v6….

Edit: looked up the tsb. Applicable vehicles listed as only a 2022 Jeep Gladiator. Wife’s is a 2014 Town and Country (ie: minivan) so it doesn’t apply. The cylinder head has already been checked for the earlier models cracking heads and its good. Swapped the #2 coil with number 4 and fault remained on #2 cyl.

Tomorrow, plan is to pull the valve cover off and check the rocker arms, which are known to fail around the odo reading on her van. It’s enough of a problem that Chrysler redesigned them a few years ago. I ordered enough rocker arms and lash adjusters to do one full head a while ago when I started hearing Chrysler might be going on strike. Good thing too beause the local dealer is now saying its starting to get harder to order them in….still available, but having to bring them in from further away…

Last edited:
Back