14 1/2" southbend

On a 16" it's a cast iron bushing and it also acts as a thrust bearing. It may also have a felt groove in I can't remember for sure.

On a 16" it's a cast iron bushing and it also acts as a thrust bearing. It may also have a felt groove in I can't remember for sure.

Not sure , i can go scratch off the paint and see if it is bronze or cast....It's elongated a little .(egg shaped) just don't want to mangle the gears....Got the manual and felts.... will definitely go over the gearbox soon....everything is a bit on hold because of the bug I have..just bad enough to not get around or under 2k+ pounds of iron... I cleaned up the tail-stock and vice ...there is something wrong with one of the fingers of the steady-rest....it only moves in and out while revolving (not sliding like the other two) ....I'm soaking it down and hoping for the best.....I have found some similar drawings of it but still lack the understanding of how it works, but I'll figure it out ....if you know of any exploded views of one ...please pass it along....I will post part of this to another thread

rafe
I took my 13" apart to clean and paint and if I remember right there is a key in behind the thumb screw. It is round on one end and has 2 flats on the other, Should be easy to build one.

Paul

Let me know if you need pictures.

That's it Don Thanks ...good as new now #6 screw was frozen in #7 brass jaw ...just minimal persuasion freed it up ...I ended up disassembling the whole rest cleaning it and lubing it....works like it should now ....By the way there was a code stamped where it shows so I take it that it is a SB?

Yes, it's a South Bend steady rest. My parts book doesn't show a telescoping one for the 14-1/2" so you would have to look for the letter in the casting number to see which size lathe it was for. "T" is for 13", "F" for 14-1/2", "H" for 16" and "FH" fits both the14-1/2" + 16".

Yes, it's a South Bend steady rest. My parts book doesn't show a telescoping one for the 14-1/2" so you would have to look for the letter in the casting number to see which size lathe it was for. "T" is for 13", "F" for 14-1/2", "H" for 16" and "FH" fits both the14-1/2" + 16".

And F it is so it's the proper rest for my lathe ....super...here it is after an hour or so of rehab......

steadyrest F 002.JPG

Very nice. Guard it with your life. 14-1/2" stuff is semi-rare and a telescoping steady rest for one would likely sell for $300-400 on Ebay if one ever came up.

Very nice. Guard it with your life. 14-1/2" stuff is semi-rare and a telescoping steady rest for one would likely sell for $300-400 on Ebay if one ever came up.

Yup feel lucky having this one...that bushing we discussed earlier appears to be bronze. ....Now after going over the lathe after having the rebuild manual and seeing others on this site and others ...I seem to have an anomaly on the face of the lathe under the chuck....it's some kind of a lever there is no knob on the lever it's about a foot long and doesn't appear to tighten anything....Maybe it held a lamp or something? it faces toward the back and moves up and down it stays where you leave it ...I'll post a photo later??

sb post 001.JPG

Last edited:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sheldonlathe/photos/album/752229800/pic/list

The above link is to an album of pics I posted of machining a 5C adapter for a Sheldon which is almost the same size. The one I made fit both machines.
If you can't access the album, PM me and I'll send the pics to you. I think I also have prints of both the adapter and thread protector and I'll take pics and measurements of my
14 1/2" drawbar if desired.
Bob

Back