14 1/2" southbend

It's a cool lathe with a lot of goodies with it, good condition and cared for. If I was looking and had the cash I would have bought it, If I had a place to set it up. My little 10 went in the basement without a fuss piece by piece. I dig my lathe, and you will yours, be happy with it, tune it up, and make stuff.

I dig my lathe too ! Got it home today ,nice smooth ride on a single axle trailer with no spare ...Did bring an extra tire in-case things got bad ....Lathe is nicer than I expected ...It was dark in the garage it was in......lots of tooling with it ....it's the 622 14 1/2 made ...don't know the year after 47 though ....I took off the tail and saddle ...Saddle was heavy for 2 strong guys....tail was heavy for one ...so that saved a little weight ...we slid it over to the trailer on six bars I brought and pulled it up with a come-a-long ...It wasn't bad at all ....it's on a trailer in the backyard waiting for a machine maybe tomorrow or Mon.
Very,very happy with this ....so far and it just gets better ...:)

I dig my lathe too ! Got it home today ,nice smooth ride on a single axle trailer with no spare ...Did bring an extra tire in-case things got bad ....Lathe is nicer than I expected ...It was dark in the garage it was in......lots of tooling with it ....it's the 622 14 1/2 made ...don't know the year after 47 though ....I took off the tail and saddle ...Saddle was heavy for 2 strong guys....tail was heavy for one ...so that saved a little weight ...we slid it over to the trailer on six bars I brought and pulled it up with a come-a-long ...It wasn't bad at all ....it's on a trailer in the backyard waiting for a machine maybe tomorrow or Mon.
Very,very happy with this ....so far and it just gets better ...:)

Very cool! Glad the move went smooth for you. Where's the pics? We must have pics!

Very cool! Glad the move went smooth for you. Where's the pics? We must have pics!

They will be forthcoming maybe tomorrow, going through the goodies today, 100 cutting bits (give or take a few) HSS,Cobalt and carbide
Very nice palmgren milling vise looks about 6". nice live centers, dead centers .....too much to mention Face plates, arbors, #5 dumore master grinder w/wheels
bunch of collets and draw-bar....The auto stop will probably work well when threading ....

I'm under the weather today,head cold or worse....but I'm still on my feet....a couple of shots.....The top shaft on the quickchange gearbox is a bit sloppy...
I should be able to sort it out from the rebuild manual......it seems to be on the right side only ...I am also putting up a shot of the auto stop switch ...that is kind of interesting and may be useful

southbend 004.JPG

This looks repairable from the outside is that correct? Looks like a sleeve!

To repair the gearbox properly you'll need to remove it and tear it down.
I wouldn't worry about that for now. Unless you're planning on using it 8 hours a day 5 days a week or more. You should just get it put in place, hooked it up and see if there's anything else more pressing that needs work.

This looks repairable from the outside is that correct? Looks like a sleeve!

It's just a bronze bushing, very easy to replace, you'll see when you get the manual, but it will require some gearbox tear down for a better inspection. I agree with oldmachinest, set it up and see what works and what needs attention first.

Back