14 1/2" southbend

rafe

Active User
Registered
I'm thinking about picking this up ...what do I look for? He's asking 2k say's it's both 220 and/or 3 phase (I dont have 3phase) Tooling pictured ....not sure if there is more ...I'm going to go look ....big leap from a 618 ...but it looks like a money maker ...Any info is appreciated....it's 6 foot long ...The guy can't remember how long he's had it ....

south bend.jpg

Looks like a deal to me as long as the ways aren't completely worn out. All the accessories easily make it worth that. I paid $1000 for mine with a 3 jaw chuck and collet setup and I'm very happy with it. Accessories are hard to find for that size. I don't have 3 phase but a 2 HP rotary phase converter runs it just fine.

She looks to be in decent condition, not a heap of rust. lots of accessories with it to, I see a collet closer, milling attachment, tool post grinder, chuck and faceplate, live center, drill chucks, steady rest, reamers, and some other stuff I can't see too well. A vfd is also a good way to get 3 phase power. Not too bad a price imo, maybe he will deal a little, a fist full of cash can be a strong bargaining tool. LOL. But even at the price he's asking still a fair price. imo

The accessories on the floor are worth between $600-750 if you needed to buy them for a 14 1/2" South Bend.

I'm little curious about the electric box he has attached to the front way. Can't really tell from the picture but it looks like some kind of limit/safety switch.

The accessories on the floor are worth between $600-750 if you needed to buy them for a 14 1/2" South Bend.

I'm little curious about the electric box he has attached to the front way. Can't really tell from the picture but it looks like some kind of limit/safety switch.

Electric stop is what he called it ...doesn't sound as if he cared for it much

Electric stop is what he called it ...doesn't sound as if he cared for it much

Electric carriage stop......And , yes It's mine and coming home this week ...It's in very nice shape and was love at first sight....smooth and quiet...has the converter on it already....nice selection of tooling ...And just a great guy wish I had a neighbor like him ....

Electric carriage stop......And , yes It's mine and coming home this week ...It's in very nice shape and was love at first sight....smooth and quiet...has the converter on it already....nice selection of tooling ...And just a great guy wish I had a neighbor like him ....

Awesome, I'm very happy for you! Keep us posted, how are you going to move it? A little disassembly I would think? Did he negotiate on the price or did you just give what he was asking? Price was worth it imo, just curious.

Awesome, I'm very happy for you! Keep us posted, how are you going to move it? A little disassembly I would think? Did he negotiate on the price or did you just give what he was asking? Price was worth it imo, just curious.

I asked him what the bottom line was and he said he was going to hold to the asking price of 1,900 it has a lot of cutting tools and holders .collets he threw in a few more items.plus a couple good books ...It really is in great shape and is ready to work ....He said a friend of his (a machinist) was mad at him because he wasn't asking enough ...I believe that was a true statement ....I am proud to have it in my care and he's glad I'm the guy that bought it ...win/win
It's easy access from his shop to my trailer on roller bars ...My neighbor will unload it off the trailer (Front end loader) and I'll roll it on bars into my garage

Sounds easy ...(it always sounds easy).....it's just over a ton ......i have a trailer with a single 3500 lb axle ....I may try to borrow a double axle to play it safe ....I'm sure it will hold it but a flat would really suck....I'll post more as it happens will pick it up most likely next weekend or sooner

Back