14 1/2" southbend

Enjoy! I love the mid sized South Bends. Quiet, big enough to do most any job, easy to operate and enough mass to do a nice job if you don't get in a big hurry. The big iron, while incredible machines, simply wear a fellow out.

Bill

Congrats on the new lathe. Great price, great size, great machine, and I'm sure you'll enjoy using it as much as I do mine.
I moved mine with a tandom axle trailer and when I got to my shop I picked it up with a cherry picker, pulled the trailer out from under it, and set it on two car wheel dollies to roll it into place.

I'd like to get the felt kit and rebuild manual, however i don't see the kit for a 14 1/2 .....what's the deal on that ....The electric carriage stop isn't working (as per seller) that's an odd one, Has anyone seen one before?? And Is the thread gauge common to other machines?

I'd like to get the felt kit and rebuild manual, however i don't see the kit for a 14 1/2 .....what's the deal on that ....The electric carriage stop isn't working (as per seller) that's an odd one, Has anyone seen one before?? And Is the thread gauge common to other machines?

As far as I know most of the parts for a 14 are exclusive to the 14, but parts are available if you are patient and look. Pm the seller on ebay for the felt kits and ask if he has a kit for the 14, he will answer you.

As far as I know most of the parts for a 14 are exclusive to the 14, but parts are available if you are patient and look. Pm the seller on ebay for the felt kits and ask if he has a kit for the 14, he will answer you.

Thanks , I sent him a message ...i am pretty patient (for the most part) especially when it comes to work projects....something tells me this lathe is going to teach me a lot of great things, including a new level of patience, I'm sure one will appear(thread gauge), I'm lucky like that, but sometimes it takes a looooong time lol I'd like to find out if the 13 or 16 is the same ...14 1/2 -16 makes me think that is possible I understand that some 14 1/2's can be converted to 16 with riser blocks....oh well it will surface eventually

Thanks , I sent him a message ...i am pretty patient (for the most part) especially when it comes to work projects....something tells me this lathe is going to teach me a lot of great things, including a new level of patience, I'm sure one will appear(thread gauge), I'm lucky like that, but sometimes it takes a looooong time lol I'd like to find out if the 13 or 16 is the same ...14 1/2 -16 makes me think that is possible I understand that some 14 1/2's can be converted to 16 with riser blocks....oh well it will surface eventually

The rebuild book I got does cover the 14 1/2 as well.

Good buy. It was a little on the high side (I've seen the 14's and larger go for CHEAP...especially 16's for some reason)...but you did get the toolpost grinder which is VERY rarely seen sold with the lathe. Most people sell those individually and for at least $500. Assuming you don't move frequently, it looks like you have a lathe that will serve you very well!

I have a micrometer stop for a 14 1/2 that I use on my 13" it will be forsale when I get one for the 13.

Paul

Good buy. It was a little on the high side (I've seen the 14's and larger go for CHEAP...especially 16's for some reason)...but you did get the toolpost grinder which is VERY rarely seen sold with the lathe. Most people sell those individually and for at least $500. Assuming you don't move frequently, it looks like you have a lathe that will serve you very well!

My main concern was ease of retrieval ,It's not too far from home. I honestly do not believe another one will turn up in this shape nearby .....Truthfully, as soon as I walked into his shop I knew it was used but not abused, nice oldschool garage with two of the fruits of his labor sitting there restored to PRISTINE condition....a 34 and a 48 or 9 .....I'll ask if I can post more info about them ...they are not your average American cars ....there is more than what is on the floor going with it ....a few things....So with condition,accessories, and convenient pick-up.....I am happy to have his old lathe, my new lathe....I am a little concerned about parts when(if) needed but not overly. I did hear back about the manual and he doesn't have all the felts but will send me something I can put together myself at a decent cost...Thanks for the direction to take on that one WTG

It's a cool lathe with a lot of goodies with it, good condition and cared for. If I was looking and had the cash I would have bought it, If I had a place to set it up. My little 10 went in the basement without a fuss piece by piece. I dig my lathe, and you will yours, be happy with it, tune it up, and make stuff.

Back