14 1/2" southbend

Today's progress.....any feed back on the thread dial working proper>> It's a perfect fit on the screw....I had to make a bracket to mount it so it would engage. The chuck came off without having to use heat ...somewhere i read (maybe here) old machine deserve patience.....

thread dial 002.JPG thread dial 003.JPG thread dial 001.JPG

Happy to here the chuck finally gave up! See good things do come to those that wait..................

Wired it up today and put it through some paces....flippin' nice. The thread dial works great ....I kept using the #1 didn't want to venture outside that concept for today, but I can figure it out from here. This is a 1" 10TPI and I really wasn't concerned about the 1" ...I wasn't making it to fit anything ....but it actually fits my atlas backing plate pretty well, just a tad loose. I used a carbide cutter and there is a little chatter , but it's not as bad as the photo shows. This is actually my first screw attempt ....I really love this lathe a lot :)

screw 001.JPG

How cool is that! Glad your having fun and got to play with your lathe and make some chips.

I have been working with this since last post...Some concerns. The oil cup on the back bearing seems to hold on to it's oil level as opposed to the front cup which doesn't (is this normal?) I took out the bottom Allen plug and it drained out , was dirty at first but cleaned up. Refilled it and still it holds it's level it makes me wonder if it is supposed to throw it off like the front does?? Clogged? I ran it at top speed for 20 or so minutes while trying to set up the tail-stock to turn a 18' bar ....got it dead nuts ...I'm impressed... both front and rear bearings warmed up but I suspect that is normal ...not hot ...but pretty warm ..is that OK? I am going to clean out the apron this week and make sure there is no gunk inside ....As far as I can tell this runs as it should ...there is no run-out on the spindle and it appears able to turn out excellent tolerances

The felt oiler in the rear bearing may be clogged and hardened not letting the oil thru. They look like this.

oilers.jpg

The only way to get to them is to remove the spindle.

oilers.jpg

Thanks for the reply. When I pulled out the bottom allen plug the cup drained....would it not go through the felt to drain?? I am not sure on the way it takes in the oil ...I'll check in the manual and see if I can answer my own question ....but I don't remember seeing a diagram.....

The oil you put in the oil cup goes into a reservoir below the spindle. The felt draws the oil from the reservoir up to the spindle.

Also check to make sure the vent holes are clear and aren't plugged or painted over.

Back