12" machinist level

It sounds like your level surface is not very level. Precision levels are not linear when you have themwaty out of level so although you making changes it doesen't show up in that orientation. When you flip the level and adjust, you are seeing a change. You need to keep going.

You can a level position on your surface by rotating the level and observing the bubble. You are seeing a difference when you flip the level. What you should see at some point is the left side bubble creeping more off center but at some orientation the right side bubble will start to move towards the center. Ideally, you would want the deflection to be equal but if the level is far out of calibration, that may be difficult to notice. Nevertheless, this would be a good place to sart the calibration process. You should see both sides start to come toward the center. The level is calibrated when the offset is equal and on the same side of center. The surface is then level when the bubble is centered.

Niether the bullseye level nor the digital level are sensitive enough to insure that you are in the ballpark with your"level" surface with your precision level. I have both. I would prefer a good mason's level and I would examine the bubble very carefully, flipping the level and looking for exactly the same position for the bubble.

I would agree. The typical carpenter's level has the sensitivity of 40' to 50' (the symbol ' equals minutes of a degree). A typical circular or bullseye level has a sensitivity10' to 30'. The standard machinists level has a sensitivity level of 50" (the symbol " equals seconds of a minute). You are trying to adjust one instrument with another that has less than 1/10 the sensitivity of the one being adjusted.

Reactions: Z2V
If I understand the process, you don't NEED a flat surface, as long as you can get the opposite direction setting the same? I can see how it would be "easier" to have a flat surface, but with a machinist level...I found there is nothing level in my house! If Aukai gets his, I will have a new sense of motivation! Take your time brother...I'm in NO rush.
A flat surface is required insofar as the surface of the level must engage the same contact points. If the surface is concave and the level is shifted slightly , you have introduced a tilt. Cosider a bowl with a level in it. You will have an infinite number of stable positions, all reading differently. Worse yet, if the surface is convex, the level won't be stable at all, bno matter where it is placed.

However, I believe that you meant to say level instead of flat and if that is the case, your statement is true.

New setup, and level, the level is hitting the back, and the left bracket each time. Something is not adding up I'm feeling. Thoughts please...

Bubble softly full right of center/level

full right flip

Bubble softly full left of center/level

full left flip

Mike, I am confused. What does "Bubble softly full right of center/level" mean?

I’m also confused.
Is the bubble always at the same end or is it swapping ends when you spin the level 180 degrees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carefully set the bubble at the end, not bury it, both left ,and right.

I still don't understand. I think this confirms that I'm stupid but could you show us a picture of what you're describing?

I set the bubble to the right side if the scale, then flipped it, and it stayed on the right side of the scale. Moved but returned right, from right

I then moved the bubble manually to the left side of the scale, then flipped it, the bubble traveled to the far right of the scale.

This is with me facing the level, and using the adjuster to manipulate the bubble to my right max travel, flip, then left max travel, and flip. I flipped it on each end to see the reciprocal effect. It should have switched ends when flipping it correct? One didn't, or am I that confused now?

Last edited:
Can you place your level like this precision drawing? Put it in place so it is touching the round rod and the right angle thing and let the bubble settle, then take a picture of the bubble. Then flip it 180 degrees and let the bubble settle and take another pic of the bubble, then post pics of the bubbles.

InkedoFSXt30l_LI.jpg

I just added the picture....do you want it centered? it will shoot to the right when flipped... this is the result of centering, and then flipping

1588229682992.png

Last edited:
Back