12" machinist level

Okay, you're saying the long side of the level is up against the right angle bracket and the end of the level is touching the round rod, right? If so, then the picture immediately above is taken in this position, right? And you're saying if you flip the level 180 degrees the bubble is in the same position as it is in the above picture?

No you asked for center, this is 180* flip. If I move the bubble from center manually to the right, all the way to the end of the tube, and do a 180* flip, it will return to the right side of the tube. If I manually move the bubble to the left side of the tube, and do a 180* flip, the bubble will rest on the right side of the tube.
Always set to the right angle bracket, and against the round bar.

If I did do your procedure above, yes it will return to the right.

What I'm trying to determine is if the table is off or the level itself is off.

Okay, let's do this. Put the long side of your level against the round bar so it is touching along it's entire length. Then make sure that one end of the level is simultaneously up against the right angle thing. Take pic of the bubble position in the vial with the level in this position; don't touch anything yet. After you take the pic, flip the level 180 degrees and put it back in the same position it was just in and take another picture.

If the bubble in the first instance is to the right of center and it is also to the right of center after you flip it then the table is off and needs to be adjusted. If the bubble is off to the right in the first instance and off to the left after you flip it, the table is okay but the level is off and needs to be adjusted.

Try that and we'll pick it up tomorrow. Going to sleep! Good night, Mike.

When you get up, where do you want the bubble to start, it has been adjusted all over the map so far. Good night.

A flat surface is required insofar as the surface of the level must engage the same contact points. If the surface is concave and the level is shifted slightly , you have introduced a tilt. Cosider a bowl with a level in it. You will have an infinite number of stable positions, all reading differently. Worse yet, if the surface is convex, the level won't be stable at all, bno matter where it is placed.

However, I believe that you meant to say level instead of flat and if that is the case, your statement is true.
I guess I mean just flat. If, let’s say the counter top had a 1* tilt to the left, flipping the level, you would want both sides to show that 100% accurate? From videos I watched, they would have a couple steel plates to make sure their positioning was exact, but they didn’t have a surface that was 100% level IF I MUST find something perfectly level, I can say my house isn’t built true enough to calibrate. I guess I could put something together to calibrate on that is level, but I need a sensitive, calibrated level to make that surface.

New setup, and level, the level is hitting the back, and the left bracket each time. Something is not adding up I'm feeling. Thoughts please...

Bubble softly full right of center/level

full right flip

Bubble softly full left of center/level

full left flip
What you are showing is why I went ahead and calibrated the only way I could...not in the center, but only one side of level. When flipped, I COULD get the same readings... I COULD NOT get the same readings if I were using the center. Eagerly watching this develope!

If the bubble is to the right both times, your surface is too high to the right. You need raise the left side of the surface. When the bubble trades sides and has the same offset, the surface is level. Then I would adjust the level calibration to center the bubble. Once you have centered the bubble, go back and recheck the surface. If everything is done correctly, the bubble should be centered both times.

You can level with an uncalibrated level as long as you are within three or four divisions from level. Past that and you enter a nonlinear section of the vial. You can calibrate with an out of level surface, again, as long as you are within three or four divisions from level.

Guns, the table Mikey showed us has tripod adjustable legs, and you can get the level set there. YOU can, but it seems to be problematic for me :faint:
Thank you RJ, I'll get my morning routine done, and hit it again. The digital level goes through 8 steps of calibration with flipping, and rolling which I have had better luck with. It has a liquid level internally, I'm going to get out my analogs too.

When you get up, where do you want the bubble to start, it has been adjusted all over the map so far. Good night.

Morning, guys.

Mike, I simply want to know where the bubble is when you put the level in place on the table. Right now, your level is probably way out of calibration because you adjusted it. That's fine, we'll fix that, but what I want to know is if the leveling table is off or not. If it is, then we adjust the table until it is level. Once that is done, we'll adjust the level. None of this is hard, honest, but we need to proceed in the proper sequence or we'll never get it done.

So, from post #63, please do this:

Put the long side of your level against the round bar so it is touching along it's entire length. Then make sure that one end of the level is simultaneously up against the right angle thing. Take pic of the bubble position in the vial with the level in this position; don't touch anything yet. After you take the pic, flip the level 180 degrees and put it back in the same position it was just in and take another picture.

Please take the requested pics so we can decide what the state of the table is. If it is off then we'll just adjust it, which should only take a few minutes. I await.

The level is on the bar, pushed against the bracket

1 flip

Back