12" machinist level

I don't have enough room on the box for the 4', and 6'

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. The vial shows the bubble moves to opposite sides when you flip it. That means the leveling table is level and the level itself is off calibration. So, don't mess with the table and focus on adjusting the level adjusters from this point.

It is hard to know how much the level is off because the bubble is pegged so you'll have to move in stages. Orient the level so the front of it is facing you. That is, the cross vial is on your left and the printed specs are on the right. This will be the only position the level will be in when you make adjustments, okay? We'll call this the FRONT.

I cannot tell where the bubble is when the level is oriented as above but say it is moved all the way over to the left. This means the left side of the level is high. Adjust the screws inside the level to lower the left side (or raise the right) of the vial. Make an adjustment and set it back on the leveling table and see where the bubble ends up. If it is still pegged to the left, keep going until the bubble is no longer pegged. When this happens, you are very close so slow down. Take pics with the level facing front and with it flipped 180 degrees. Then we can decide how much you need to adjust it to bring the bubble into the center.

We are making progress, Mike, so stay with me.

I have been playing while waiting moving the bubble out from the left slowly. When I'm out in the adjustment divisions, I left the adjustment, and flipped it back, and forth 3-4 times. The bubble never repeated it's starting position.

setup

1st position

1st position flip

return

Keep the level facing front and keep adjusting until the bubble moves toward center, then stop and take pics.

2nd adj

2nd adj flip

2nd adj return to start position, no alterations, just put back in the tray.

This just keeps getting weirder....

Not really. Just means we're getting close. I would guess you're within a fraction of a turn from being there. The trick, if there is one, is patience. The bubble can take a full minute or more to settle and you can't touch anything until it does settle. Place the level in the front position and adjust it close to center and let it settle. Then flip it and see where it ends up. You are adjusting until the bubble is NOT PEGGED in either position. Once you're there, we can precisely adjust it so get there and take pics.

So, just so I can have my ducks in a row here...
We don't KNOW the surface he is adjusting on is perfectly level (he has no other machinist level that are known to be 100% calibrated) he can't expect both directions to be "perfect", but off the same amount, in the same direction when flipped?
Even though he is close at one side, but quite off in the other direction, he is "close"? "Fractions of a turn"?
It's just synchronicity as I was doing the same exact thing, with the same oddball results as when Aukai was doing this. I'm just hoping to get some learning from his jouney.

The table might be off a fraction of a degree but the level is off more so we need to focus on the level. These things are so sensitive that an almost imperceptible adjustment will move the bubble. We just need to be patient and work at it until the bubble centers. I've done this numerous times and have been able to calibrate the level every time so we are going in the right direction.

Back