12" machinist level

I'm going to give it a fresh start today. My digital level said I was .3-.4 degrees from level on my surface. I could adjust the knob in the body for the bubble to be anywhere in the hash marks left to right, under compensate, over compensate, do the flip, and the bubble buries it's self in one end or the other. I did find my bullseye bubble level(it was in a safe place), and my machinist jack to use for a tripod instead of the 4 corner adjusters too.

do the flip, and the bubble buries it's self in one end or the other.
I don't understand the physics of this. Unless the liquid vile is deformed/defective or the base is not square somehow, I would expect that what ever error you had one way, would show the same error when you flip it around.

Here are 3 video resources that might help you. The first two show the fence method on a surface plate, while the 3rd sorta guesses at it. I particularly like how the first video shows the fence being rotated to show how you can find a flat line on your surface plate, even if it is poorly leveled.

I don't understand the physics of this. Unless the liquid vile is deformed/defective or the base is not square somehow, I would expect that what ever error you had one way, would show the same error when you flip it around.

If the table were crooked and the bubble was adjusted way too far to one end, they might cancel out and read nearly zero one way, but add together when the level is flipped around and push the bubble way to the end of the level.

I agree that when you are adjusted true, the bubble should read symmetrical error on both sides when flipped 180.

I dropped the bullseye bubble on the tray when I came in this morning, I'll fight with it later. I have to check my rig, and a private jet is coming in from America, and I have to screen them on arrival.

I am quite puzzled, here is my photo essay, any suggestions, I'm at work so a drink won't be till tonight.....

Bullseye center

Main bubble center

bubble set to the left of center

Bubble to the right of center

I buried the bubble to the right of center, and brought it back out to half, and this was the result for each flip

Man, that is exactly what I was dealing with. Again, not saying yours is like this, or mine should be, but the only way I could get SAME readings was to have say 5 lines showing on the far right side, flip it and have 5 lines showing on the opposite side....if this makes sense? (not in dead center) After 2 or more hours (and this isn't my first time going down this rabbit hole) this was my conclusion. No, I'm not done with it...6 more months from now I'll continue on this thread I'm sure. Give her he11 man!!!

It is kinda strange, which ever way I snuck up on it, from ether side, flipping it, it would bury the bubble, usually on the adjuster side as shown.

It is kinda strange, which ever way I snuck up on it, from ether side, flipping it, it would bury the bubble, usually on the adjuster side as shown.
Do you live in one of those weird paranormal vortexes? I obviously do. Hopefully you figure it out so I can enjoy the spoils!

Back