1/4 of the way to a mill

Thanks @francist!
Let me know when you need a new machine and I’ll put my secret weapon into gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will be fine with the mt3. There are lots of tool holding options for mt3.
Congrats on the new mill!

Mill looks a tad dry.
If it were me, I would grab some ISO32 Hydraulic oil from the local farm store if you can, it's cheap and does the job.
Slop it on all over and let it soak in. IMO, the oil suspends the dirt and grim better than spray lubes.
Thankfully you're not having to deal with rusted/seized up parts.
I would tear it down, remove the table and check out the GIBs. Clean, de-burr and lube.
That was the main problem with the one that sold around here back in July, it was dry. I knew the gent that bought it and he called me a couple of weeks later asking me to look at it. Got it tore down, and when I left he (and his son) were de-burring and stoning it.
Just my opinion, YMMV.

PS: post a picture of the drawbar when you get a chance to.

So here’s the unloading.

The seller, Larry had a Toro walk-behind bobcat type loader. When I arrived he was in the middle of fabricating a platform to stand on behind the machine because it was a leeetle precarious.
72850d1b97ace246c17e7ee72523f68b.jpg

We bolted the mill to a pair of 2x6s so that it couldn't tip forward
7df6e17a268119104a57d30e75368636.jpg

In an attempt to lighten the load, I removed the motor and the countershaft assembly.
e45e95d88101e9065e0cbc17b4a0d63c.jpg

Shims under the column
84ab3c2ef429fae9bb4ce3fa1019efe4.jpg

And the column and head are on the ground. Honestly this was a bit terrifying. I lifted the column off the base and onto the truck bed. I positioned 2x6s so I could walk it down the ramp but holy moley it was really unbalanced toward the spindle end.
28332b0095ecf517ca5a3ff0ad667c31.jpg

I pulled my truck forward and wedged the 2x6s between the box and the edge of my garage floor pad. I had to raise the base high enough to clear the bolts that were coming up from the bottom of the 2x6s. Then I levered the base slowly onto the ramp.
0f1cfcaa8a56b5c75f2eab1651909e47.jpg

And voila! On the floor of my garage.
9706312fb9e5eb7d2dfbc28b21b4492b.jpg

This is just a shot of the casting sand etc that was in the base.
dcd9298b1b2a21720ece5b6a16d3be66.jpg

Drawbar
a80823deb610fb16df3b84064301136e.jpg
287cc4c1a4b4d57f4c32b6da546360d9.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly I didn’t measure it.
I was pretty much done at that point.
I will measure it tomorrow :)

They sure don't put much effort into getting the casting sand out of the parts.

Looks good.

They sure don't put much effort into getting the casting sand out of the parts.

Looks good.

Nope, it was pretty gritty.
I vacuumed it all up.
The column was still coated in cosmoline. I might have been the first person to take the cover off the drive assembly as the latches were painted closed with original paint.

Looks great David. I really enjoy resurrecting old and neglected machines.
Where's all the snow and subzero weather up there in Canada? I see green grass. I haven't seen green grass around here since the beginning of November.

Looks great David. I really enjoy resurrecting old and neglected machines.
Where's all the snow and subzero weather up there in Canada? I see green grass. I haven't seen green grass around here since the beginning of November.

Thanks! I’m totally stoked about it.
This will be my first machine resto. I went through my Unisaw with a fine tooth comb but nothing needed attention.

This really doesn’t need more than a serious cleaning but I’m going to go through it so that I become familiar with it’s workings.

This is the drill chuck that came with it.
91671d4b7dee36f549ea10ecd4008b92.jpg

Back