1/4 of the way to a mill

Dave,
You will learn a bunch on that mill. Down the road, you may want to upgrade and you’ll have a large box of experience to take with you on your next piece of equipment.

Dave,
You will learn a bunch on that mill. Down the road, you may want to upgrade and you’ll have a large box of experience to take with you on your next piece of equipment.

That’s my intention. I’ve been trying to absorb as much knowledge from all the folks here so that I have .005 of a clue when I start making chips with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like casting pea gravel

Note the heavy application of filler on the column.
That will be coming off I think.

I wanted to add, think about your tooling purchases, I believe you said it has MT3 taper?
You won’t find any Bridgeport clones with an MT3 spindle. There are plenty of items you will want thinking about fixturing, holding, measuring etc. that you will use on any mill.
I have a small Industrolite horizontal/vertical mill that has mt3. Ulma Doc provided some tooling with it When I picked it up from his shop.

I wanted to add, think about your tooling purchases, I believe you said it has MT3 taper?
You won’t find any Bridgeport clones with an MT3 spindle. There are plenty of items you will want thinking about fixturing, holding, measuring etc. that you will use on any mill.
I have a small Industrolite horizontal/vertical mill that has mt3. Ulma Doc provided some tooling with it When I picked it up from his shop.

Yes it has an MT3 taper.
There is tooling available, not to the same degree but for my needs at the moment I hope that the ER32 chuck and collets from LMSw will serve ok.

After some serious research and solid advice from folks here I did splurge on a Glacern vise. I say splurge because with exchange and duty it’s the same cost as a Kurt before all those extra fun charges.

Yes it has an MT3 taper.
There is tooling available, not to the same degree but for my needs at the moment I hope that the ER32 chuck and collets from LMSw will serve ok.

After some serious research and solid advice from folks here I did splurge on a Glacern vise. I say splurge because with exchange and duty it’s the same cost as a Kurt before all those extra fun charges.
The Glacern will be keeping you company for years, and machines to come. . .
The #3MT ER32 will find use on a lathe as well.

What progress are you making on tearing down the mill and inspecting the ways and gibs? (you have so many threads going this old goat can't keep up.) :grin:

The Glacern will be keeping you company for years, and machines to come. . .
The #3MT ER32 will find use on a lathe as well.

What progress are you making on tearing down the mill and inspecting the ways and gibs? (you have so many threads going this old goat can't keep up.) :grin:

Ahh no progress whatsoever.
Too many other projects on the go.

I will start a new restoration thread when I start tearing the mill apart :)
Resto thread started here:

Last edited:
I'm in Manitoba and was looking for a mill. Very little to choose from so end up with a King PDM-30 basically a RF-31 (31N2F(BS)/25. The big thing that is not so good with this unit is a 1 phase motor (220v) and the belts that have to be changed for changing speed. That becomes a pain after a while. So I'm looking to converting it to 220v 3 phase. And oh by the way the motor is meteric at a 24mm bore. It says it 1hp but from the current on the label it's more like a 3/4 hp. The cost could be up to 1000 to 1500. Canadian to convert it. Also raising the head puts everything out of calibration. So will have to mod that somehow. Would I buy again, probably not and would go to a Model: KC-20VS-2 or better less power put more included options, especially variable speed control. That should be a given for a mill. Would have gone with busybeetools but shipping was horrible as there is no store in Manitoba.

Back