1/4 of the way to a mill

So the big downside to an MT taper is that the drawbar thread isn't standardized, and much of the chinese/ebay stuff makes poor documentation out of which it is. For MT4, I discovered 3 different threads, 1 of which i could buy tangs for, 2 of which I had drill chucks/centers for :)

In your case, you may wish to pick up a couple rods of 4140 and just make yourself 1 drawbar of each thread, otherwise you'll find yourself needing to spend 2x to make sure you get holders/etc of the right pitch.

Indeed @ErichKeane, I was doing some pre-shopping research last night and discovered tapers with M12, 3/8-16 and 1/2-16 threads.
I like your idea of having some 4140 rods on hand. Forewarned is forearmed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Something like this will get you started. If you go for one of these make sure the chuck body has flats on it for a wrench.

Need to determine the thread on the current Drawbar.

1581963257462.png

Banggood, has a 1/2-13 thread. USD$75 cheaper. more collets. Of course with the virus outbreak. . . .

Then later on you can get a couple of these later, and have the collets to use with them.
1581963773428.png

Little Machine Shop has a decent selection of MT3 tooling. I've bought from them several times and no complaints.

It looks like most of theirs are 3/8-16 and they do specify the drawbar used where appropriate. Some items like the dead center don't use a drawbar.

Little Machine Shop MT3 search

I had two round column mills before I got my bridgeport, I never had any complaints about either one! You will be very happy with what you have!
Ryan

Little Machine Shop has a decent selection of MT3 tooling. I've bought from them several times and no complaints.

It looks like most of theirs are 3/8-16 and they do specify the drawbar used where appropriate. Some items like the dead center don't use a drawbar.

Little Machine Shop MT3 search

I ended up buying that collet chuck set.
I wasn’t keen on having to make a metric drawbar just to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back