1/4 of the way to a mill

Remember David is in Canada, $1300 Canadian is around $850 US.

Thanks @Aaron_W
Except for perhaps the Maritime provinces, my market is probably the worst in Canada for machinery buyers.

There was little to no industry here which means there are few, if any folks who are either working millrights or machinists living here who would be selling machines.

For contrast, there’s a fellow somewhat nearby who bought a Sheperd BP clone for ~$6100 and now has it listed for $8500.

Will he get that? I doubt it but I’ll bet he gets least $6K.

This fellow is asking $1300 for a Taiwanese LC-30A.

A new Chinese RF-30 clone is $2300 here. I’m not sure that spending a thousand more for a new version of the same thing is going to buy me much more machine.

The seller said he never used it as a mill so I expect the ways and screws to be in good shape. I may end up putting in new bearings, changing some belts and cleaning it up. I can live with that.
Provided it’s in good condition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dave , that FTV-1 is a very nice mill . Not sure if that is canadian $$$$$ or not , but that's worth beating him down on his asking price if possible and the machine is tight .

Dave , that FTV-1 is a very nice mill . Not sure if that is canadian $$$$$ or not , but that's worth beating him down on his asking price if possible and the machine is tight .
It's actually not a Lagun FTV-1, it's a Shepherd 3.0.And yup $8500 CDN
Here's a link to a dead webpage from the retailer. Originally retailed for $8500 CDN. I know the seller paid no more than $6150 so he's trying to make a quick buck.
And there's no negotiating him down on price because I already tried; told him that I knew he paid $6150 or less. He basically told me to get stuffed.

It's way out of my price range regardless.

Last edited:
I’m going to look at both the RF-40 and the Long Chang LC-30A today.

We shall see what happens.

Alrighty folks, I looked at both mills today.

The RF40 was ok, it did have a Baldor motor as noted earlier but it also had about .003 lateral play in the table end of the spindle. A fair bit of backlash in the table on both axis as well. I realize this can be adjusted out.

Overall it seemed like it had seen some hard use and the seller was partway through a refurb.

When I pointed out my concerns to the seller he was indifferent and said the lowest he would go was $2400 but that wouldn’t include the vise or collets.

I decided to pass.

I then went to the RF30.
It checked out really well. The table is tight with minimal backlash. Spindle has .001 of runout and is silky smooth when running.

We struck a deal that made us both happy. Turned out that I was better than halfway toward my mill

So we loaded it into my truck where it now sits.
2c7997c5d30502e857d656de099194e5.jpg

Nice! That oughta keep you out of trouble for a while.... or not.... ;)

Glad you got one that's making you happy.

-frank

It’s an MT3 spindle.

Back