Wrench storage

My version for ignition wrenches, metric & inch (from Machinist’s Workshop Aug-Sep 2022):

View attachment 505933

The hanger on the right is used to “land” the wrenches that are removed from the peg to access the needed one.
Very good idea Charlie. I need to add the 3rd one to mine.

Very good idea Charlie. I need to add the 3rd one to mine.
Well, since I’m anal I store the wrenches small to large; having a place to hang the outer wrenches when going for a smaller one saves time (and sanity) when putting them back.

Well, since I’m anal I store the wrenches small to large; having a place to hang the outer wrenches when going for a smaller one saves time (and sanity) when putting them back.
I agree.

I have local tools and general tools. Local tools are the tools I use all the time on the machine and I have duplicated of those tools such as the 1" wrench which lives on a hanger at the end of the lathe for example, if that wrench leaves my hand it goes on its hook. Then I have general tools which live in one of my big tool boxes, I pull those out when working on a specific project and they are cleaned and put back up when I shut down for the evening or complete the task I was using them for. If I have local tools which I use on both the lathe and the mill all the time, such as the Allen wrenches, they live in the drawer on my job/project cart which I roll back and forth between the machines, and usually has parts related to the project in its upper tray, these tools are used then put back, if I am doing something where I pick them up and set them down often the drawer stays ope and that is where they rest between uses. If I just set them down in between uses I'll waste 15 minutes looking for something I set right there in the open, plain sight... :cautious:

I have local tools and general tools. Local tools are the tools I use all the time on the machine and I have duplicated of those tools such as the 1" wrench which lives on a hanger at the end of the lathe for example, if that wrench leaves my hand it goes on its hook.
Another great mind! You mean like these (white card added for visibility):

IMG_8341_Radiant_Photo.jpeg
10mm for chuck retaining nuts, 7mm for cross slide lock & 5mm for carriage lock.

I also have “extra” wrenches hanging on the side of the cabinet under the mill for clamping nuts.

;)

ETA: Great Scott man, now you've done it!

Old habits I guess. I learnt the KB shortcuts for emojis many years ago and never forgot them, though different forum software can and does use different formats for the things.

Back