What Did You Buy Today?

Have to say you really have to watch the strainers. Have had strainers plug up on a boiler system. Wye one way flow connection with strainer. Got to maintain them weekly, because if you don't, it will be a long time before you remember to look again. Had a strainer plug up and cause the premature death of a hot water circulator.

This afternoon, the mailman brought me a TMX 1/4"-40 tap and die, both HSS. Got them from Suncoast Precision Tool. Want to use the fine threads for a positioner. I can single point the male threads, but don't have the lathe tooling to make such small internal female threads. It's good to have the set.
PXL_20220125_201518525.jpg

Well not really a purchase. One of the nice things about living at a marina is when people buy new to them boats they tend to go crazy throwing things away. Most times they belong in the trash but people have a tendency to leave good items out of the dumpsters for others to look through. I was taking the trash up to the dumpster yesterday and there was a micrometer box laying next to it. I opened it up and there was a very nice looking mic, it was soaking wet and the barrel moved kind of gummy but I figured I would play with it. Well took it apart and shot some WD40 into it and let it sit for about 24 hours. Wiped it down and it moved as smooth as a baby's back side. I checked it against some of my gauges and it is within tolerance.

So cost $0.00

And lets face it, a tool is a tool.

Micrometer.jpg

Bought an AR Warner 1/2" HSS parting tool. I've never felt the love for the 250-107 AXA parting tool holders,
and while I have a Dorian parting tool that takes inserts which I like, I wanted something else in HSS. The
kit includes the tool, a HSS blade and an Allen wrench. (China tool holder not included.). Obviously not for big jobs with heavy
cuts, but I've used it 5-6 times in the last few weeks and I'm completely satisfied. It's a good size for my 10" lathe. Recommended.

View attachment 393693
Since there's no rake on that tool holder, it would work really well up side down with the lathe running in reverse. The blade would also be closer to the tool post.

I just bought a TMX 12” 6-jaw scroll chuck & a TMX D1-6 adapter:

6558799E-0C0B-43F6-90AF-2D456714CDB8.jpeg

and

I saved $455.00 by checking prices from different suppliers over a 4 week period. Ajax Tool on eBay had one chuck available for a much lower price.

Also, we used our 5% back credit card, so this purchase only set us back $2,926.

Last edited:
My order from Pierson Workholding arrived. The Pro Pallet System starter kit and some extra pallets. Can’t wait to dig into these over the weekend.

Attachments

• 660DA65B-ACD5-4E21-A5AF-473DE2C02CAC.jpeg
    660DA65B-ACD5-4E21-A5AF-473DE2C02CAC.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 15
Back