What Did You Buy Today?

Surprisingly, I received a box too. A day before it was to be delivered. By Fedex, on Sunday, after a snow storm, which is surprising.
Not to keep you all in suspense too long, it was a Shars set tru ER40 collet chuck.
PXL_20220130_203605272.jpg
It was strange. Saw a Fedex truck pull up next to the front door of the house. Then the guy goes in the back of the truck, puts the package on the front seat, and drives away. He goes around the corner, and then delivers it to a side door. Odd, since Fedex never delivers to the side door.

Now I have to make the back plate, since they are back ordered for 5 months. Purchased some cast iron from Speedy Metals. The back plate will be the next project. Have to buy some ER40 collets, haven't a single one yet. Also have to buy a wrench, since this collet chuck doesn't come with one. You know what else it doesn't have? A hole in the side for a tommy bar. I have an ER32 chuck for my mini-lathe and it has 3 holes for a tommy bar. Very handy for tightening and loosening the nut. However, the ER32 is not a set tru chuck.

Can one use a tommy bar with a set tru chuck?

Start a thread on doing the back plate.
I will be doing the same thing soon If I buy the 4 jaw Bison I am looking at and will need some guidance I am sure!

Start a thread on doing the back plate.
I will be doing the same thing soon If I buy the 4 jaw Bison I am looking at and will need some guidance I am sure!
Plan to start a thread. Maybe later in the week.

You may use my thread as a guide on what mistakes not to do! I only have a basic idea of how to proceed. Hope to muddle through.

First thing I am going to do is to make a drawing. Haven't found a drawing on a set tru back plate, so I have to wing it based on some general guidelines, drawings of the chuck, my spindle, and the size of my chunk of cast iron.

Surprisingly, I received a box too. A day before it was to be delivered. By Fedex, on Sunday, after a snow storm, which is surprising.
Not to keep you all in suspense too long, it was a Shars set tru ER40 collet chuck.
View attachment 394377
It was strange. Saw a Fedex truck pull up next to the front door of the house. Then the guy goes in the back of the truck, puts the package on the front seat, and drives away. He goes around the corner, and then delivers it to a side door. Odd, since Fedex never delivers to the side door.

Now I have to make the back plate, since they are back ordered for 5 months. Purchased some cast iron from Speedy Metals. The back plate will be the next project. Have to buy some ER40 collets, haven't a single one yet. Also have to buy a wrench, since this collet chuck doesn't come with one. You know what else it doesn't have? A hole in the side for a tommy bar. I have an ER32 chuck for my mini-lathe and it has 3 holes for a tommy bar. Very handy for tightening and loosening the nut. However, the ER32 is not a set tru chuck.

Can one use a tommy bar with a set tru chuck?

I have the same chuck and have been very happy with it. I made a pin spanner for mine: it engages the holes on the front
of the chuck. No problems whatsoever with it.
I bought Techniks collets for mine and I'm happy with them.

IMG_1774.jpeg

Well, this is good and bad. Shars just set me notification that the threaded back plate for my set tru chuck is in stock! It would save me a lot of time machining a new back plate. Less than two weeks ago they told me it would be 4-5 months. So I bought some cast iron to make my own.

Should I buy the back plate and save the cast iron for something else, or machine the cast iron into a back plate. To do the machining I'm going to have to make some tools first. Need to make a 3/4" threading bar, and probably buy a 3/4" boring bar. With AXA tooling I am limited to 3/4". Probably cost more to buy tooling than to buy the back plate. But machining a back plate seems like almost a rite of passage...

Feel silly asking here, (this is Hobby Machinist after all,) but, what would you do if you were me? Extra points for also including why.

Well, this is good and bad. Shars just set me notification that the threaded back plate for my set tru chuck is in stock! It would save me a lot of time machining a new back plate. Less than two weeks ago they told me it would be 4-5 months. So I bought some cast iron to make my own.

Should I buy the back plate and save the cast iron for something else, or machine the cast iron into a back plate. To do the machining I'm going to have to make some tools first. Need to make a 3/4" threading bar, and probably buy a 3/4" boring bar. With AXA tooling I am limited to 3/4". Probably cost more to buy tooling than to buy the back plate. But machining a back plate seems like almost a rite of passage...

Feel silly asking here, (this is Hobby Machinist after all,) but, what would you do if you were me? Extra points for also including why.
I'm going to sit on the sidelines on this one. I'll start some popcorn. This is going to be fun. :laughing:

Back