What Did You Buy Today?

Hmmm...looks quite well made and sturdy.

But on the other hand, it's a rebadged Chinese fella. My post above was really just a bit of a whinge about Mitutoyo not having a 100 mm dial calipers offering.

On the other, other hand, if I wanted, at that price, I could buy a few of these to be a 'don't need to go and lie down in a darkened room if I drop it' thing and you'd expect Haas to be reasonably picky about what they sell.

On the other, other, other, hand Dasqua (who provide reasonably decent quality at a good price) do offer a 100 mm product (thank you @verbotenwhisky for adding a further variable into the mix :grin:) and RDG sell them (but they're £35).

Hmmm...

Ah balls...Hass doesn't ship to the UK (or not this product at least).

Eh...maybe I'll grab a Dasqua and see how long it lasts.

Thank you @ChazzC and @verbotenwhisky for the suggestions.:)
NP, I many Dasqua tools and find them accurate and of good quality.

Why not just go digital? What is the advantage of a dial caliper? (other than needing a battery one a year)
I have digital calipers and I find the dials to be better repeatability, once set a good dial caliper will hit the same numbers everytime were I find myself checking the digital calipers and resetting 0. When I buy a set of calipers I use my gauge pis and blocks to check them at varied dimensions to determine how much I trust them and repeatability is my biggest issue.

NP, I many Dasqua tools and find them accurate and of good quality.
I have a couple of Dasqua 25-50-75 blocks, a 0.01 mm 'longer stroke' dial indicator and a 0.01 dial test indicator.

The blocks are as square as I can make out with my limited equipment and the indicators seem as good as my Mitutoyo indicators.

They are fine grain castings, I used an ultrasonic gauging tool on mine and found no significant issues, it gauged very solid, it is fit and finish rather than structure.
yes, I ***** about the defects, as is my right, they shouldn't be there. but the actual function of the machine is fine. it is more capable than my skills.

yes, I ***** about the defects, as is my right, they shouldn't be there. but the actual function of the machine is fine. it is more capable than my skills.
What you are complaining about is precisely why I went at mine with an ultrasonic gauging tool. The gauge I used will provide the thickness of 8 layers of material and if there is any internal porosity it will show that as well and I found nothing to make me concerned of that. paint is around 8 to 9 mil on average and body filler in places was up to 0.080" and averaged around 0.027".

Back